When dreams help

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Here's something I try and do when I'm stuck with writing...

One night, before going to bed, you must think long and hard about where you are stuck. You think about it lots just before going to bed. You keep thinking about...

Okay, you get the picture - you're trying to kick your unconscious into gear - jump start that inspiration. During the night, if you really did kick start it, your unconscious will explore the dilemna you faced.

Wake up the next morning and make yourself write...

Doesn't always work - sometimes you're simply lacking a key life experience that you're about to have.

I tried it last night and wrote over 6,000 words, including a key scene near the end, where the reader suddenly finds out the big twist I've spent the entire book setting up.

It was a great flow - I didn't have a clue much of what I was doing, except that it was coming good. Like being dictated to. Darn exhausting, though. I had to force myself to stop - my arms were aching and I didn't want to bring on a repetitive strain injury. :)

Having a deadline helps - one more day left until the family comes back and I've still got things to write.

I've done it a couple of times and it can work. The first time, I went to sleep with the idea in my head to write a specific type of story..woke up and wrote it.
The second time, I was working on a piece but knew that there was something critical missing. Woke up and Presto! the missing piece was in my head.
So, yes. I think allowing the subconscious some freedom can help. :)

There certainly is something to thinking of a certain thing over and over before sleeping...it does make you dream of whatever you were thinking about.