Discussion Thread -- JANUARY 2021 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #40!

autodidact: The mysterious nature of this intriguing tale compels the reader to consider each word carefully, seeking for its full meaning. The fully developed character of the narrator makes the ineffable seem real.
Just to let you know, Victoria, that you've described exactly what I've tried to convey. I've tried to create a context which, when combined wih the measured expectation of the character, hopefully provides something more tangible than an "I did this" and "he did that" now "let's explain everything" narrative. You're very perceptive. Thanks for the comment.

Great word, JS! Coincidentally, I read Factotum by Charles Bukowski last month (not bad - a book like most other Bukowski).
One of my favorite parts of both reading and writing is learning about new (to me) words.

Parson comes in grumbling. Life gets in the way this past weekend (helping Granddaughter with her homework) and how many stories are in already. rmrmrmrmrmrm Maybe I can start reviewing on Wednesday???

Cat's Cradle: The carefully developed and entirely plausible speculative technology portrayed in this story draws the reader into its future world. By creating a vivid character with both sympathetic and regrettable traits, the author allows us to understand the universal emotions of all sentient beings.

BT Jones: By thrusting the reader into a strange, barely comprehensible future world, the author creates a sense of mystery that enhances the theme of the search for the numinous. A touch of irony at the end causes us to ponder the nature of worship and divinity.

Guttersnipe: This chilling tale of supernatural horror grips the reader with its matter-of-fact description of ghastly events. The nature of the menace causes to wonder if evil comes from within, or without.

mosaix: With tongue firmly in cheek, the author presents a clear example of how overreaching ambition can lead to disgrace. Beyond this tale's Rabelaisian humor, there lies an important lesson for those of us who think there's an easy way to gain success.

Well, I'm in.

If that's the 40th 300 word challenge and I've spent, say, on average 2 hours on each one (it's bound to be more) then that's 80 hours of waking time (17 per day) or, 5 solid waking days writing 300 word entries. Even more disturbingly there have been 3 times more 75 word challenges. Not to mention the 100 word challenges.

Well, I'm in.

If that's the 40th 300 word challenge and I've spent, say, on average 2 hours on each one (it's bound to be more) then that's 80 hours of waking time (17 per day) or, 5 solid waking days writing 300 word entries. Even more disturbingly there have been 3 times more 75 word challenges. Not to mention the 100 word challenges.
Sounds like a firm base for an anthology.

Sounds like a firm base for an anthology.

It's how I build my annual anthologies. Take most of the tales that get released online, revise and/or expand a few for how they should have been (if necessary), add the unpublished stories I create throughout each year, review it until I'm sick of it, then let my proofreaders and editors give me a (mainly educational) kicking. Action the recommended revisions... et voilà. :)

Just write. Never stop. Have fun. I recommend it.

It's how I build my annual anthologies. Take most of the tales that get released online, revise and/or expand a few for how they should have been (if necessary), add the unpublished stories I create throughout each year, review it until I'm sick of it, then let my proofreaders and editors give me a (mainly educational) kicking. Action the recommended revisions... et voilà. :)

Just write. Never stop. Have fun. I recommend it.
I've been doing something similar with all the Dark Lord stuff I've inflicted on the Chrons all these years. Gather them all together, pull on the idea strings and see what happens.

Edit: so far, all I've got is a bad case of the knots.

Last edited:
@Edoc'sil .... Forbidden Knowledge .... The spirit might be fully enjoying its ... erm ... life, but its knowledge is less than godlike.

@JS Wiig .... Pirates of the Kahr-ubd-eon System .... In the end being prepared for trouble means being able to salute it as you pass it by.

@Wayne Mack .... Coffee Please .... Frustration with polite social norms is not species specific, but breaking those norms is not helpful.

@Jo Zebedee .... SOULLESS .... The one who is truly untouched by the fray goes her own way unfazed and powerful.

@autodidact .... Three Hundred Words .... Not knowing can drive you crazy. Actually, it'll drive you more crazy than knowing the worst.

@farntfar .... I see a red door .... Maybe we can't see all there is to see, but we can be sure that if we should see it, we won't see anything beautiful.

@paranoid marvin .... A Fright At The Museum .... Is it a fright night? a fight night? Or a flight night? It's still nothing the meek will seek.

@Luiglin .... When all else fails .... You never know what you don't know and sometimes you know what you think you don't know.

@Rafellin .... Stare Down .... Never believe that the gods aren't looking.

@Victoria Silverwolf .... Valse Triste .... The logical if sad end to a masked society.

@Cat's Cradle .... The Dying Breaths .... The saddest words from kin or kith, "It's all about me."

@BT Jones .... Reflections in Obsidian .... In life we see the reflection of the original sin. "I shall be god."

@Guttersnipe .... The Monster Behind the Mask .... The true monster in any story is the monster in our mind.

@The Scribbling Man .... Mosaic .... All the disparate parts make a picture, but it's not pretty.

@mosaix .... Mass Coverage .... A story that puts pride in its place and sewage all over your face.

...so far, all I've got is a bad case of the knots.

Don't pull so hard. :) Let the pieces drift. I find apparently disparate pieces can fit together, but it sometimes takes time to realise the connection. I have stories in progress that have been slowly growing from fragments for over thirty years.

@Daysman .... Pause for thought .... Life gets complicated when people decide that the letter of the law is much more important than the spirit of the law.

@Calliopenjo .... Digging .... Convenience breeds dependency and dependency breeds unthinking dependency.

I got a story in. Yay! I don't normally write Sci-Fi but I do watch a lot of it. It may not be an original story but it's something based on the picture. Kinda creepy looking so I could've done horror instead but I'm worse at that than I am with Sci-Fi. :D Thank you, Parson, for your review.

@sule .... Attack of the Centrippids, Episode #83 (Choose Your Own Adventure) .... Sometimes there is no escape. Whatever you choose the end is death, imprisonment, or a new "death possible" challenge.
(Hardest review I've ever attempted. I was tempted to go multiple choice with no correct answer.)

@Vaz .... Masks .... Going with your gut might not be logical but sometimes its the safe thing to do.

Daysman: What most distinguishes this speculative inquiry into the nature of self is the profound implications of its premise. Using the classic philosophical structure of a dialogue, the author offers thought-provoking insights into the eternal mystery of consciousness.

Calliopenjo: A sense of irony fills this account of the progress of technology and the implications it has for our lives. The wry ending allows us to consider our own missteps while dealing with advanced devices.

sule: A structure that is both nostalgic and original brings something truly different to this clever work. Unlike many works, it can be enjoyed fully more than once.

Vaz: The use of a powerful metaphor elevates this story to the level of a parable. Once we understand its message, we are left to ponder what it is that we hide from others, and perhaps even from ourselves.

johnnyjet: The things that make us human are examined in this quiet fable. Like a fun house mirror, the analogy used here reveals truths while seeming to distort the image.

Phyrebrat: The emotional power of this moving allegory is enhanced through the choice of a striking symbol. By daring to speak in the voice of one who has done great wrong, the author creates empathy where we might not think it possible.

Back