Discussion Thread -- JANUARY 2021 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge #40!

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
And the 300 Worder Challenge is up! 300 Word Writing Challenge #40 -- READ FIRST POST!

As usual, it's not open for entries until the 10th, but this Discussion thread is open and available for comments, praise, and general adoration of the mods!

NB This is the 40th Challenge in the 300 worders -- the end of the 10th year of doing them! Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself!!

I've only ever written one story that probably comes in at around 300 words or less. This and the 75 word challenge could be a good exercise for me. Got a couple of ideas based off the photo, so might take a crack at it!

I looked at the inspiration for the challenge and I had to look at it twice to get it. I'll get something down. May not be perfect but I'll get something in.

I drafted something today. I have heavily leaned on it as inspiration, which I assume is the point? As opposed to literally including what's in the photo in the story? It conjured up imagery for me that I related to something different.

That really is a great photo. And not a single idea upon first glance which is something I like, allows the idea to ferment for a day or two.

There are many here, who do like things fermented. I'm pretty sure the muse will visit me sometime this month. Perhaps a delivery service will drop it off at my door step.

I drafted something today. I have heavily leaned on it as inspiration, which I assume is the point? As opposed to literally including what's in the photo in the story? It conjured up imagery for me that I related to something different.
That's exactly right -- it's for inspiration not explanation.

That said -- *regular Challengers look away now to avoid repetition-boredom setting in as I say exactly the same thing yet again...* -- when it comes to voting, I personally do like to be able to see a connection between the image and the story, no matter how tenuous, but I'm probably in a minority of one in that respect. The only requirement is that the story is SFF or other speculative fiction.

Meanwhile, if anyone has a spare story going cheap...

Whilst always trying to pick up something from the picture for my entry, I do not consciously judge a piece of work by how clearly it relates to it.

That said, a particularly imaginative or unique use of the picture for inspiration will often provoke a positive reaction from me and if I am torn between entries for a vote, I might use this interpretation as the differentiator.

when it comes to voting, I personally do like to be able to see a connection between the image and the story, no matter how tenuous, but I'm probably in a minority of one in that respect. The only requirement is that the story is SFF or other speculative fiction.

Thanks. I think I would probably be the same in that regard, but I just wanted to clarify.

Yikes! I have a really negative visceral reaction to that "cutie." Writing a story I like about that is going to be hard.

You're not the only one, Parson! I've been shuddering since a mod (who shall be nameless to protect the guilty) first put it forward as a suggested image by posting it in the Staff Room! You didn't have to see all the alternatives as well, though... :oops:

Unlike my 75 word story, I actually have fun, light-hearted idea for this one!

Ah, Tezcatlipoca. A suitably creepy shot for a (mainly) dark deity.

Yeah, one of my necks o' the woods. Story arrived within moments of seeing the picture. Now to let it settle.

Back