DISCUSSION THREAD -- January 2021 75 Word Writing Challenge

@Heijan Xavier .... Who Would Win if Darth Vader Fought Lord Voldemort in the Land of Mordor? .... I was surprised by the ending, but it was precious.

Ian Fortytwo portrays a vicious circle.

johnnyjet pays tribute to the courage of the meek.

Marvin ponders the joys and challenges of a new acquisition.

Peter V reveals the dirty side of military operations.

M. Robert Gibson laughs at the pretentions of the incompetent.

Hugh points out the unseen magic that fills the mundane.

Heijan Xavier plays with the themes of popular culture.

Good grief. I don't remember ever being so hard put for an idea for a 75. When I saw the theme and genre I didn't have any qualms, but now I've almost run out of time and the well has yet to be primed.

Good grief. I don't remember ever being so hard put for an idea for a 75. When I saw the theme and genre I didn't have any qualms, but now I've almost run out of time and the well has yet to be primed.
I had significantly more difficulty getting focused this month. In my case I thought it was because there was so much in the "world news" that was absorbing my mental energy that there was no space for internal imaginative process. In the end I adopted my last resort strategy which is to cease all reading until I've come up with something I like.

Last edited:
I have the same problem, exacerbated by several books I was bought for Christmas which I didn’t want to put off reading. :giggle:

That’s done!

And now back to my books. Has anyone read The Dragon Waiting, by John M. Ford? What a silly error the blurb writer made on the back of the paperback!

35 stories so far, if I’ve counted correctly. Lots of choice!

Could it be you need to escape from the trauma of writing a story.

I had significantly more difficulty getting focused this month. In my case I thought it was because there was so much in the "world news" that was absorbing my mental energy that there was no space for internal imaginative process. In the end I adopted my last resort strategy which is to cease all reading until I've come up with something I like.

!!!! Why? Has something happened out there in the real world? Have the Martians landed? Are we heading for a comet?

Nobody tells me nowt.

And done. I guess all I had to do is whine and my muse went, "Well in that case here's a little something." Not my usual fare, but I think it'll do.

@Provincial .... Retreat .... Sometimes the question is whether escape is worth it when reality comes crashing home.

@G.T. ... The Savage Joy .... Sometimes war waxes lyrical.

@alexvss .... Monster Pit .... Sometimes escape is found when one you love helps you out of a horrible situation.

Thank you, Victoria. I had both stories written and was hoping for some stimulus for improvement when my computer stopped functioning, this one in verse - but this will now have to do. On to the 300.

@chrispenycate .... Liberation .... Sometimes you need to be rescued from your escape.

@Shyrka .... The King’s Well .... Sometimes escape looks like a first century sailing ship trying to survive a storm; and it's usually just as effective.

Back