(Found) A strange tale to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMoonRabbit

This one has confounded me for several years now, but all my efforts to find the damn thing again have been futile. I apologize cause what I do remember is as hazy as it gets. I found it in a small town library in Ontario, Canada, if that helps any.
It was a novel. English. I read it sometime in the 2000s. I thought for the longest time it was a Syne Mitchell book, but nothing I can find authored by her matches what I remember reading. The book follows 7 (I think, could have been as few as 5, as many as 9) kids, who were all separate of each other, who got sent elsewhere (again still separate) to be raised. The story jumps between them. All but one are girls, IIRC. Each one feels like its own self contained story, where they all have wildy different experiences. One of them came from a society where you were assigned a value at birth, depending on what your parents value was, and the order of your birth, IE, if your parents were both ones, you could also be a one, but your younger sibling would be a two, and if one of your parents was a lower number like a three, you could only be a three, and the younger sibling would be a four. It was either that or the parents values were added and you got the resulting number. Naturally the lower the number the better your place in society, and the character from this world was a high enough number that she could only be a slave or what not, and gets sent away for a better chance at life elsewhere (or sold off as a slave, either way its because of her bad ranking). There are portals involved. Possibly alternate dimensions? It's revealed at the end all these characters are different iterations of the same person, (yes, even the boy) where they all come together to save the universe or something? It was a weird confusing read, and I was too young when I read it to properly appreciate it, as I think it was aimed at adult readers. I want to say it was sci fi, but not overtly so. a lot of themes on destiny and fate and all that.

So yeah, if this is ringing any bells for anyone, please let me know.

The Margarets by Sheri S Tepper? I have only vague recollections of this book as it’s a long time since I read it, but I do remember there were seven characters, one a boy, who turned out to be versions of one person.

I couldn't be sure without reading it....but going over what I can find online about the book....it certainly sounds like a match, the title is definitely ringing bells....so thank you, I think we can label this one as found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back