2021 TV Watching.

I’d forgotten how superb Fall Of Eagles was. I need to follow this up with the 1971 movie Nicholas And Alexandra so that’s next.

I finished Schitt's Creek and found the trials, tribulations and growth of the Rose family to be surprisingly enjoyable. (I avoided it for a long time as it didn't interest me.) I've been missing decent episodic SF over comedies for the last few years and i'm not sure if it's indicative of another issue, though.

Now on to Amazon's Expanse from the beginning (I've seen seasons one and two already.)

I've started two new series. The Frankenstein Chronicles (Netflix), whose frankly rubbish title belies a thoughtful, creepy tale of a river policeman (Sean Bean) in 1820s London investigating the activities of resurrection men, with a possibly supernatural (but so-far subtle) twist.

And Snowfall (BBC iPlayer), a Wire-type show about the crack cocaine epidemic in LA in the 80s. Excellent so far.

And Snowfall (BBC iPlayer), a Wire-type show about the crack cocaine epidemic in LA in the 80s. Excellent so far.

It is a truly wonderful series and very dark. And on top of everything it's based on the real thing. What I'd like to have seen is the actual stock footage from that time period, mixed in the show to highlight the time period.

I've been watching the excellent 1994 five-part documentary Watergate on BBC iPlayer. Apart from the Washington Post reporters Woodward and Bernstein (who are barely mentioned, oddly) seemingly everyone involved and still alive at the time is a talking head, and all seem very open (though those looking for contrition should shop elsewhere). And luckily, they've resisted the modern temptation to slice the top and bottom of the image off for widescreen and kept it in good old 4:3, the only sensible format for interview-based programmes.

Did anyone like the movies EXCALIBUR or DUNE ? I didn't, maybe I need to rewatch them.

Dune was about as close to the book as it could be whilst remaining true to the story. A think that in order to make a 'better' movie it would require it being less faithful to the source material. I think that there are several versions though?

Excalibur is a wonderful movie, and much better than any of the King Arthur movies that have come since.

I've started two new series. The Frankenstein Chronicles (Netflix), whose frankly rubbish title belies a thoughtful, creepy tale of a river policeman (Sean Bean) in 1820s London investigating the activities of resurrection men, with a possibly supernatural (but so-far subtle) twist.

Frankenstein is a pretty weird concept of a tv series, and it gradually gets more weird. I think it occupies the same universe , or is certainly very similar too, Ripper Street. Worth watching and good performance from SB.

Recently watched through the 4 series of Whitechapel . Modern day detective story about a group of detectives working from Whitechapel area of London and dealing with murders that have links back to past crimes. As the series goes on it does stray away from detecting and move more into the supernatural, but very interesting to watch. Some great acting performances , Phil Davis is great (as always) and Steve Pemberton takes time away from comedy to show he is a versatile actor.

Have just started watching DC's Stargirl
It is a teen/high school take on the rise of a new Justice Society of America [JSA] [10 years after the original JSA were killed by the ISA - the Injustice Society of America]
I've only watched first four [of 13] episodes, but so far, the young lead is proving to be believable and villains suitable villainous.
The supporting cast is good enough and High school offers some added drama that doesn't involve fighting super-villains.
It is a teen series so isn't GoT gory but there actions and consequences. People do die [and stay dead].
I found it in a charity shop, still shrink wrapped for £5 and through what the hockey sticks, its worth a punt.

Finished the fifth season of the Expanse, which i found very enjoyable.

Now on to the second series of Snowpiercer.