2021 TV Watching.

Dave Vicks

I am going to start 2021 off by Watching. FIREFLY, CREEPSHOW Season 1,and the original OUTER LIMITS.

I've heard people really like FIREFLY.

Yeah, Firefly was okay. I have the original Outer Limits in my video library. Great show.

Finished Season one of True Detective.

S2 got panned although I quite enjoyed it, particularly the performances of Vince Vaughan and Colin Farrell. It has some really dark moments.

S3 is absolutely brilliant. On a par with S1.

The Netflix series on swear words received a good review in the Newspaper.

A few TV series that i want to watch this year.

Finish Killjoys. (I've only seen the first two series. I enjoyed them a lot, but need to finish it off.)

After reading Stephen Palmer's review of The Man In The High Castle, i'll try and watch that, too. I love PKD's work, but for some reason i have put off watching this. I also want to watch the Electric Dreams Anthology series.

The Expanse. As with Killjoys, i have seen the first two series and enjoyed them very much.

I'd really like to watch American Horror Story. Everything I've read on this points to it being something that i'd enjoy and it looks very well made.

Trouble is, i pay for Netflix and Amazon Prime and i'm loath to pay even further for more TV.

I've heard alot of hype about expanse. Is it really good? I recently finished watching the leftovers, which I thought was superb. I fell in love with a few of the characters, and the heavy emotional scenes were all knocked out of the park.

Another great TV show I have just finished was Fargo s1 and s2. Tight, thrilling storytelling with some great examples of sympathetic characters you can't help but love.

I've been told 'Carnival Row' is good.
It is. Actually it is excellent.

I really enjoyed Carnival Row (the one season that exists). I love the names. The Burgue. Vignette. Rycroft Philostrate (the "Phil" is pronounced like "file"). Just try saying that a few times. "Rycroft? Rycroft Philostrate?" "Rycroft Philostrate!"

I binged watched Bridgerton this weekend. It was wonderful escapism, loved every minute.

Yeah, this was great fun and surprisingly well-made, with the dialogue and music and choreography and all that. And the whole Whistledown thing was "delightfully agreeable."

I'm gonna go away from the more intellectual experiences offered before me, I've seen most of those shows and I liked them all (apart from the few I didn't watch) and I'll possibly make myself hated in the process but bear with me:

Just finished watching season three of "Attack on Titan" and season 4 is ongoing throughout this year. It even got my girlfriend, who hates anime, to really get into it. It doesn't fall into that normal trap of anime; to have people screaming for 10 minutes about inconsequential stuff, in the middle of a fight. It also doesn't have those stupid characters that western audiences (myself included) hate i.e. maids, catgirls, cutesy stupid animal sidekicks stuff like that. It's honestly a really good expose on PTSD and the real effects of war and has a deep fantasy lore that isn't tolkien in nature!

Apart from all that it's really edge your seat stuff, some of the action scenes had me sat there literally sweating. Also quite a few characters die in it so that makes it different too. It adds to the action because people might not have plot armour!

Very good. It's just wrapped, so all 13 episodes are out there.

None of them is as good as season 1 but they're all pretty good.