The Mandalorian - Chapter Fifteen - The Believer

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I really liked this episode. It was a proper adventure. Obviously, it didn't go exactly to plan, but they improvised, and were ultimately successful. Also, Din Djarin stops saying "This is the Way", takes off his helmet and claims that Grogu is more important than his own moral code.

It brings back Migs Mayfeld, the ex-Imperial sharpshooter who double-crossed Mando in the first season episode The Prisoner and became a New Republic prisoner. Din Djarin needs his Imperial codes to access the location of Grogu. Unfortunately, Mayfeld needs an Imperial terminal, so they have to visit the jungle planet of Morak where there is an Imperial mining facility and refinery. He also needs a partner who's face won't be recognised, which rules out all except Din Djarin. He believes he can bend the Mandalorian code to get inside if he wears a helmet and doesn’t reveal his face. They hijack a Juggernaut transporter to get them inside the facility. The complication is that it contains highly volatile explosive rhydonium which cannot be transported too fast or too roughly, leading some online to call this episode The Wages of Din Djarin. The second complication is that pirates (or freedom fighters?) are trying to blow them up, and have succeeded with all the other transports that day. Luckily for them, after a prolonged chase and hand to hand fight, two Imperial Tie fighters come to their rescue.

Once inside, they find the terminal in the Officers’ Mess, but Mayfeld also spots his former commanding officer Valin Hess, who he thinks will certainly remember his face. Djarin is forced bend his code even further and to show his face so the machine can scan it. Then Van Hess notices him and questions him. He is aware that they were the only transport that was successful and wishes to drink with them. Hess not only doesn't recognise Mayfeld, but is willing to toast to Operation Cinder, in which he sacrificed many lives. Mayfeld snaps, shoots Van Hess and they suddenly need to make a very quick escape via a very convenient window.

In this episode, the stormtroopers and guards were not totally useless, they were picked off simply because Marshal Cara Dune and Fennec Shand just had a very good position as snipers. Of course, why the two Tie fighters weren't launched a little earlier to take them out is not explained.

Back to the plan again, they are picked up off the roof, by Boba Fett and take out the two Tie fighters. Mayfeld takes a shot at the transport and detonates the rhydonium, destroying the refinery. Mayfeld is allowed to stay behind on Morak, maybe he will help the oppressed Morakians?

So, all is now set for a season finale in which Grogu is freed from Moff Gideon. However, nothing in this series has ever been that simple so far.

I thought the call back to The Wages of Fear (unless it's a call back to Sorcerer, which I think is an even better film) was neat. The whole fight on top of the transporter also left me with a distinct Indiana Jones aftertaste. It's good that they showed Djarin making mistakes. After seeing him rely on his beskar armor a little too much to deflect blaster fire, I kept wondering what would happen the day he no longer had it. And indeed, old habits die hard and he had to adjust his fighting style after getting injured with his crappy imperial-issue armor (why they even bother to equip their soldiers with those boggles the mind.).

I didn't like the whole chat with the imperial officer, especially the first half, when he questions Djarin. I think our heroes got out of this one way too easily, this part of the episode was so implausible it was borderline comedy.

But my favourite part? Seeing the imperial troops cheer after Djarin and what's-his-name, still wearing disguises, make it to the base with the shipment. It was great seeing the Imperials humanized in this way and caring for their fellow troops, since they're usually portrayed as generic bad guys doing evil stuff for the sake of serving an evil despot.

Not enough Boba Fett if you ask me, but I'll never have enough Boba Fett. I hope they give him the death he deserves in the next episode and start working on his own spin-off series/film/video game/cookbook soon.

Maybe if Moff Gideon would give up his diabolical plans for Grugo, Din "Mando" Djarin might stop mopping up leftover imperial outposts.
Babysitting the wee one has resulted in a steady string of destruction for the Empire. The Moff could anticipate that his own operation will follow the pattern if he persists in keeping Grogu.
One option would be for Gideon to return the child to the ancient temple with a "sorry for the misunderstanding" note, and let Mando know he's ready to be picked up.

Thank you Dave for putting up the thread. I've been preoccupied to do reviews. I will post later when I've watched them.

I loved that Migs wasn't so sure about his new freedom. The prison guard had to literally kick him out of the facility to be a prisoner again. :LOL:

It seems that whenever you get a chance to choose the lifepath in the SW universe, the Imperial posts should be the last choice, because they are no good, even if they are numerous and readily available. It is just simply a wrong choice. Then again, if you think all the other choice, none of them are really glorious and safe, because anything can happen.

What I don't get is the Imperial operations in the New Republic timeline. How can they operate a mining facility and ship the cargo outside, when there should be patrols and eyes all over the place?

When they were in power the rebels had hard time on moving anywhere, because the Imperial ships were everywhere. A mining operation would have been exposed in no time.

What surprises me even more is Fett's willingness on conducting operations with a crew. He should be like Mando, but he isn't in his olden days. It is as if he had acquired rare wisdom and maybe some love, while his old man was always on his own.

On top of that Migs said, "You and I are the same," to Mando and he is kind of right, because they both represent the old times, the veining power. The remains of glory, but for Mando it's all about the rules and traditions.

I absolutely loved seeing the pirates in the live action, because in the animated series they are so funny. In the comical factor they are like the battle-droids and their captains are the best, and most devious ones in the galaxy.

I could say they are even more devious than the Hutts and nothing is sacred to them. To the Imperial, they have their values, codes and commands. It is quite amazing how that organisation, even without a proper centralised leadership is still functioning. To be honest, they should be best buddies with the pirates and smugglers.

Overall, a very good episode.

What surprises me even more is Fett's willingness on conducting operations with a crew. He should be like Mando, but he isn't in his olden days. It is as if he had acquired rare wisdom and maybe some love, while his old man was always on his own.

He worked with crews in the Clone Wars, admittedly he was younger then.

Really enjoyed this episode - was worried the transporter action sequence was going to over-run, but instead the arrival of the TIE fighters kept it to an acceptable length. Imperials cheering them was great, as was the confrontation with the officer - you could see the growing discomfort in Mayfeld's face and that was brilliant.

Overall, a number of action sequences, none of which felt like they over-ran to me, and some good character development moments, not least Mando's continuing questioning of his code to remove his helmet, and how uncertain he looked without it. Even liked seeing Bobba Fett in his newly repaired armor, but glad he took a general backseat to the action so that Mando could remain the lead.

Good to see Mando driving the story, and looking forward to the next episode - just hoping it doesn't involve a 30 minute "shoot the Stormtroopers" section and they keep to developing the story and characters. :)

I agree with Brian. I thought this was the highest point of a very good programme. The conversation with the officer (is he the believer in the title?) was exceedingly good and credit should go to Bill Burr and Richard Brake, who are both really convincing (there's something very sinister about the officer's twangy accent and huge grin). The mixture of exciting action with character development and surprisingly thoughtful moments was very strong.

My only question would be why the pirates wanted to blow up the cargo rather than steal it, but this seems a very minor quibble with an otherwise great episode.

Back