Short Stories That Would've Made Great Twilight Zone Episodes

"Martinis: 12 to 1", a.k.a. "Burnt Toast" by Mack Reynolds
"The Public Hating" by Steve Allen
"The Three Marked Pennies" by Mary Elizabeth Counselman
"The Misguided Halo" by Henry Kuttner
Also, many stories by Charles E. Fritch would qualify. His 1970 story, "The Misfortune Cookie" was adapted for the 80s version.

Last edited:
"The Enormous Radio" by John Cheever
"Masquerade" by Henry Kuttner
"None Before Me" by Sidney Carroll
"The Comet" by W. E. B. Du Bois
"Mr. Lupescu" by Anthony Boucher

"The Hangman" is a poem by Maurice Ogden that could be adapted

"Martinis: 12 to 1", a.k.a. "Burnt Toast" by Mack Reynolds
"The Public Hating" by Steve Allen
"The Three Marked Pennies" by Mary Elizabeth Counselman
"The Misguided Halo" by Henry Kuttner
Also, many stories by Charles E. Fritch would qualify. His 1970 story, "The Misfortune Cookie" was adapted for the 80s version.

I had no idea that the 1986 Twilight Zone segment The Misfortune Cookie was based on a written story.:unsure:

"Mr Lupescu" by Anthony Boucher, now that is one strange and creepy story, you think it is one thing and turns out to be another, excellent!
Honestly I was trying to think who wrote it the other day, couldn't remember, thank you for reminding me.
Anthony Boucher was such a good writer, would recommend his collection "The Compleat Werewolf"!

Last edited:
"Mr Lupescu" by Anthony Boucher, now that is one strange and creepy story, you think it is one thing and turns out to be another, excellent!
Honestly I was trying to think who wrote it the other day, couldn't remember, thank you for reminding me.
Anthony Boucher was such a good writer, would recommend his collection "The Compleat Werewolf"!
FYI: There's The Complete Boucher from NESFA.

I've absolutely no idea why 'The Seven Billion names of God' wasn't made into an episode as it would have been a perfect fit for the show, it terms of length and the twisty ending.

The Vaults of Yoh-Vombus by Clark Ashton Smith This would make really dark and nasty episode of The Twilight Zone :)

I've absolutely no idea why 'The Seven Billion names of God' wasn't made into an episode as it would have been a perfect fit for the show, it terms of length and the twisty ending.
Do you mean "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke? I read that it was considered for the show but for whatever reason it didn't happen.

Alien World by Edmond Hamilton: a teak buyer searching for his brother-in-law takes a drug that slows him down to the speed of plants. The trees are not to pleased when they learn the protagonists profession.