Star Trek - Discovery - 3.08: The Sanctuary

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
If Ryn had been properly debriefed after his rescue all this could have been avoided. Why the Federation let them carry him around as a passenger is beyond me.

Admiral Vance is useless. He never makes a decision and sticks to it. You can't go, you can go strictly as observers. They were never going to be strictly observers. Not with Booker or Ryn aboard.

The plan to use Booker's ship seemed like a good one, but not when it is so obviously endorsed by Discovery and flew out of her shuttlebay. Now Osyraa has escaped and will return with the rest of the Emerald Chain to seek vengeance. Better to have had Discovery fire on her and destroy her ship. They may have broken orders (but then they did that anyway really).

You would expect the Emerald Chain now to hit back hard against the Federation and other non-aligned planets likes Booker's homeworld, Kwejian. However, maybe their lack of Dilithium is much more serious than is being let on and they aren't in a position to do that?

Did Kyheem, really expect Booker to simply hand over Ryn when he summoned him? He obviously knew that that he was on this Federation ship with Ryn aboard too, right? Otherwise, there was no point in summoning him at all. He didn't seem ready for the conflict of interest, or to have thought anything through to the end. So, if Discovery had not attacked Osyraa he had no plan B, and he had no plan to rid Kwejian of those pests and halt the famine. He doesn't sound like much of a leader, just a Osyraa puppet.

The main plot arc is almost buried as a c or d-plot this week. The Discovery science team has found a source for The Burn, using the Ni’Var data. It started in a mysterious nebula, and seems to be connected to a distress beacon sent out by an unknown lost Federation ship. That algorithm seems to take a long time to run.

Reactions: ctg
I loved this episode. I can even say it's my favorite one so far. Booker is not an ordinary man and this makes sense since Michael is not an ordinary women either.

I adore that cat. It gives something special to the show.

Not easy to be a doctor with a patient like Georgiou. We may finally learn what's wrong with her.

I wish I could stay and say more, but I have to go and work. *sigh*

The main plot arc is almost buried as a c or d-plot this week. The Discovery science team has found a source for The Burn, using the Ni’Var data. It started in a mysterious nebula, and seems to be connected to a distress beacon sent out by an unknown lost Federation ship. That algorithm seems to take a long time to run.

Patience Mister, patience. Nothing good comes out from being hasty. They know the source location and it is a surprise that the Federation ship is in middle of it all. If they caused it, there's going to be a huge bill to fix it all. If the producers would go full burn, there wouldn't be much to shoot.

Admiral Vance is useless. He never makes a decision and sticks to it. You can't go, you can go strictly as observers. They were never going to be strictly observers. Not with Booker or Ryn aboard.

Let me put it this way, Adm Vance is much like Adm Adama, they both have A fleet, with very little to spare. Discovery was never part of the original roster, so in a way it is expandable. Not big loss if it's gone, because they already have acquired the data from upgrading the ship. And the Sphere Data, not a big deal since he hasn't even looked into it.

So, for him being a wuss is a normal thing in my eyes. If he committed the whole fleet and their supply on an action against the Emerald gang then the chances are that there would be losses. So in that regards Saru made a right choice by allowing Book's ship to take the action, while they 'observed' from distance. Technically they weren't involved, but who cares about that?

Therefore, in practice, the Emerald Chain did the right thing by throwing out their threat after their action didn't produce results. It was the only thing they could do, although at the moment Book's ship flew out, they should have targetted Discovery and take it on as a main threat. That's what I would have done instead of continuing punishing the planet.

Book's brother almost delivered on the promise and frankly he had not even bothered about trying to do the psychic thing. The thought had not crossed his mind, but I don't get what Michael did with the beam? Does Tachyons enhance psychic powers?

Also if the StarFleet needs empaths why don't they employ them from other species?

I adore that cat. It gives something special to the show.

I love him too and I did find it curious that he sought out protection instead of messing with the controls.

Not easy to be a doctor with a patient like Georgiou. We may finally learn what's wrong with her.

Yeah. I loved that she acted like any other patient, not trusting the doctors and being extra difficult instead of submitting willingly to the procedures.

The admiral does seem more like an overworked bureaucrat than a supreme commander.
Maybe the Burn didn't leave a lot of senior officers, and they had to take what they could get. Perhaps the admiral had been happily serving as Starfleet chief financial officer when greatness was suddenly thrust upon him.
Meanwhile, Saru is still settling into his role and enlisting Tilly to help him find his trademark catchphrase. "Execute" was a flop, and I don't think he can swing "Hit it!"
She really needs to engage before she can make it so.

I thought Saru had settled upon "Carry on, then!" as his new trademark catchphrase.*

which UK viewers would recognise as the failed 32nd film outing in the comedy franchise.

I thought Saru had settled upon "Carry on, then!" as his new trademark catchphrase.*

which UK viewers would recognise as the failed 32nd film outing in the comedy franchise.
I hope not. That would only inspire crew members to request transfers. ;)

whatwillitbe.jpg

Back