DISCUSSION THREAD -- December 2020 75 Word Writing Challenge

Peter won in December 2017 with "I am the Ghost of Christmas Present" (I've just realised how far behind we are in the Rolls of Honour...) and the theme for January 2018 was indeed "Road Trip or Journey" in the genre of "Apocalyptic or Post-Apocalyptic (SF, fantasy or horror)".

I got some votes that time, Peter, so make sure you do as well with the next theme!

So it was three years ago? Wow, time really flies past

Thank you, TJ! I liked my story from that Challenge, but received no votes. :(
But there's always another Challenge, so it's never anything to worry about. :)

Well done @Peter V. As soon as a read your entry I knew it was a contender for my vote, and it valiantly fought off all-comers. (By the way, what happened to the previous Peters: I, II, III, IV?)

And a big thanks to @Marvin. I really wasn't expecting a vote, given how few mentions my entry earned. Was it a mistake? :LOL:

Maybe I'm just slow, but I just realized that the title, "A Gift Fit For A King" by @Peter V can be read in two ways.

Fit: Appropriate
Fit: An angry outburst

I wonder if that was intentional. It seems to fit with the story.

Alas just the first one.

I often spend a long time looking for an appropriate or even clever title and often feel quite chuffed with myself when I achieve it. This however is not one of those occasions and I fear my title is somewhat mundane.

Well done @Peter V story was a firm favourite in the end.

Glad that’s over! Just the one mention, my worst showing ever. And it was in the first post after entries closed, I thought I was off to a flyer. Thanks for that mention @Heijan Xavier stopped my story sinking without trace.
As always, some very long ‘short’ lists not to make it on to! Almost feels like a type of reviewing - which I believe is frowned upon unless all are included?
As done expertly by the usual pair, with a little Christmas treat from @Luiglin or should that be the Dark Lord himself. That was nicely done, some hard work put in there and very much appreciated.

@M. Robert Gibson the vote was definitely no mistake. Admittedly it didn’t stand out when I first read it. But on my re-read of all the stories, I realised what you had done, which made me read it again, and it all fits. Anyone who has had a newborn join the household, knows they sure are king or queen. Very touching.

As for any short listings, I’m feeling too grumpy this month.

Glad that’s over! Just the one mention, my worst showing ever.
As for any short listings, I’m feeling too grumpy this month.

For me, the important thing is whether you liked the story. I still remember one or two of my "double bagel" efforts with great pleasure and even number them among my personal favourites.
It's been said here before..."There's no accounting for taste".

Last edited:
Thanks stevietee and Ursa for the shortlistings. It's rare for me to go with a non-poetical entry, and I'm really pleased that it was so well received.

And of course congratulations to Peter V for a resounding victory to round off the year.

Back