DECEMBER 2020 75 Word Writing Challenge -- VICTORY TO PETER V!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Judge

Truth. Order. Moderation.
Staff member
Supporter
RULES:

Write a story inspired by the chosen theme and genre in no more than 75 words, not including the title

ONE entry per person

NO links, commentary or extraneous material in the posts, please -- the stories must stand on their own

WHEN WRITING YOUR STORY, PLEASE REMEMBER THIS IS A FAMILY-FRIENDLY FORUM

All stories Copyright 2020 by their respective authors
who grant the Chronicles Network the non-exclusive right to publish them here

The complete rules can be found at RULES FOR THE WRITING CHALLENGES

Contest ends at 11:59 pm GMT, 23 December 2020
Voting ends at 11:59 pm GMT, 28 December 2020

We ask all entrants to do their best to vote when the time comes
but you do not have to submit a story in order to vote
as we encourage all Chrons members to take part in choosing the winning entry

The Magnificent Prize:

The Dignified Congratulations/Grovelling Admiration of Your Peers
and the challenge of choosing next month's theme and genre

Theme:

THE NEW KING

Genre:

SPECULATIVE FICTION

This thread to be used for entries only. Please keep all comments to the DISCUSSION THREAD

We invite (and indeed hope for) lively discussion and speculation about the stories as they are posted,
as long as it doesn't involve the author explaining the plot

** Please do not use the "Like" button in this thread! **

Last edited:
Seal of the Sovereign

The masses may think I’ve begged for this day, but no. Only a psychopath would beg for a mother’s death.

There she is, an angel she ever was and ever shall remain, amongst the clouds, carried to heaven by pixies in a Fairyland tribute. I’m left with her sovereign power, the strength to hold the seal. I alone must stop the forces of hell from ransacking England on their way to finding Fairyland. Have mercy.

Noblesse Oblige

The selection of monarchs in the Perfumed Isles takes the form of a lottery, to which any citizen, from beggars to the Spicemaster, may apply. Many choose not to do so, for the burden of office is heavy. There was a fisherman's son, brown as a coconut and as handsome as the sea, who won the position. During his long reign, he did nothing but collect starfish. He is known to history as the Wise.

Reluctance.

“There are some tests you must pass before becoming King.”

“I don’t want to be King.”

“But think of the rewards.”

“They mean nothing to me.”

“Think of the power and influence.”

“I don’t want power or influence.”

“The wealth then.”

“I have everything I need.”

“My Sovereign!” Kneels. “I kneel to our new King.”

“I told you, I don’t want to be King!”

“You have no choice, Sire. You passed all the tests.”

Subtle Feelings

Despite her stature, which trended from typical towards petite, and irrespective of her gender, which manifested by her reckoning as generic female, and notwithstanding the legions of naysayers, all while largely flying in the face of the freshly forecasted predatory tweets, a mad-eyed woman by the name of Charisma Tiktok had become, not queen, but king of Extranubia.

More surprising’s when you consider: this land had never boasted a monarch before, didn’t understand the concept.

#75w excl

A Gift Fit for a King

"So, I can choose any star as a gift for my coronation?"

"Indeed Sire."

"Then I want Sol. It’s got that pretty planet with the rings."

"There are tenants inhabiting the third planet, Your Majesty."

"And?"

"Er… may I suggest Beta Draconis? You'll get two for one there."

“Tempting, but no. Sol it is.”

“Very well Sire. I am sure they will be absolutely delighted to become your subjects.”

“I doubt it. Have them evicted.”

Last edited:
"The Fierce Urgency of Now"

She and the decades-younger copy of herself watched as the first ligaments were printed onto the completed skeleton.
Her newly invented 5D printer worked perfectly.
“What will you say to him? He’s sixty years from his time.”
“Printing you proved that a subject retains the memories of their life. I’ll give him a copy of the I Have a Dream speech as a memory catalyst, and say ‘Reverend, your people have need of you again.’ ”

Last edited:
Nobody wants to be a King and what happens when they do become King.

I have just been made King, apparently the last six hundred heirs resigned minutes after the Queen died. None of the heirs wanted the throne, so I must be the last resort. I cannot resign as there is an unread and unreasonable clause in the documentation.

After all the paraphernalia I am now King. Now everyone wants me to resign and to I will.

Suddenly I am assassinated, and death reigns now.

TK Event.

They bowed their heads in adoration.

“This then is to become our New King, one so small and weak?”

“The bright star has led us here, tonight He is born”

The star grew even brighter and they all gazed up in awe, their proud dinosaur features lit up in the asteroid's final moments.

The King is Dead?

The man exited the 210 from Memphis, made his way to the Chinese theatre and stared down at his star upon the sidewalk for the last time. 57 platinum albums, 31 films, one billion records sold. Time for a new king. Maybe Gaye, Bowie or Gibb.

He bought a bus ticket for Kalamazoo before ducking into an alley where a light beam pulled him into the starship.

His job done here. Time to rock Betelgeuse.

The Power And The Glory

I have seen the fall of the Tower of Eternity; witnessed the burning of the Land of Plenty.

I have watched fathers slaughter their own children and mothers be compelled to cut out their womb.

I stood at the right hand of the man they called the Pitiless Lord.

I revelled in his glory, in his madness, until his people had their say.

Now I need a new King.

You.

Show Me You Are Worthy.

The King of Bedlam

Once upon a time, there was a planeswalker who dreamed of ruling realm upon realm. In his conquest, he
came to a world unexplored by his kind. There he found a peaceful race who had never heard of monarchs.
With his silver tongue, he explained to them the duties, the freedoms, and the power of a king. However,
rather than truckling under his sheer words, they put him where would-be conquerors belong--in a madhouse.

'A' is for Abdication

President Duffley walked nonchalantly toward the centre of the ten-mile-wide blast crater.
“He’s mad!” said Vice President Weller, watching from the rim. “The radiation will kill him.”

Defence Minister Ritter shrugged. “He said he was going to the royal palace. Must be he just couldn’t live with the guilt.”

Weller’s brow furrowed. “Duffley ordered this?”
Ritter nodded, smirking. “‘I hate the aristocracy’, he told me. ‘I’d give anything for a nuking!’”

The King is Dead, God Save the King

George grabbed a tray and flirted with the cook for an extra spoonful. Hard job but he had to sweat it. With unemployment at 60 percent he was lucky.

He sat at the table with his mush.

“George Philip?”

He glanced up. One of the secretaries. Fired already? He nodded.

She held out a slip of paper. “For you. Congrats.”

He glanced at it. From his mother.

Your father is dead. God save the King.

Team Work

They were all crowded round the viewer.

“The baby’s being born... now!” Michael checked the chronograph against his notes. “Raguel, your guess was closest. You’re today’s Metatron - go and wow those shepherds! Raphael, those wise men - still on their way?” Raphael nodded.

“OK...” He advanced the dial. “Selaphiel, you guessed the time of death exactly. Get going - announce the resurrection!”

Little Uriel looked sad. “Can’t I do anything?”

Gabriel smiled. “Don’t worry; He’ll be back.”

Last edited:
New broom

Observatories the world over agreed - this was a new one!
Burning with blood red malevolence, it dominated the eastern night sky.

Inevitably the ‘nutters’ emerged, proclaiming portents of doom and destruction.
Inevitably, nobody listened.

But with this celestial sign there came a message.
Found scrawled in ancient script, wherever humankind gathered for worship.

So much for free will.
Now we’re gonna try things my way.
There’s a new King in town!

Return Mission

Gaby found me outside the local station.

She'd acquired a scooter. "Mr B, you not with the others?"

"Got caught up… they've gone ahead. Casper hired a car for the equipment. Mel got an Uber. Where'd you find that scooter?"

Gaby winked. "I know people!"

I looked up. "The solar sail's getting brighter. D'you have the impact coordinates?"

"Farmland, north of here. Hop on!"

"We'll be late."

"Nah! We're gonna fly!"

"Assuming nothing else happens..."

Planet Earth

He loved showing his little sister the endless amounts of information about Earth. Derius wasn't supposed to be in the main computer room of the ship, his parents forbid it after all. He didn't even turn his head whenever the door slid open behind him because he knew he had been found out. He stared at his shadow on the floor, expecting his father to reprimand him.
"You were to be the king on Earth."

All Hail The King

His opponent’s tired arm let his shield droop. A cleaving swing found his neck. The King was dead. A flag bearer knelt before the new King.

The King listened. Silence.

“Why no cheers?”

“The men are tired,” said his companion.

“Then we will celebrate soon. A large jubilant feast.”

“No, my Lord. The villagers are still hungry. Destroyed fields must be tended.”

The new King finally saw the desolation and grasped the meaning of victory.

Last edited:
A new sweep blooms

After his father's death in a 'hunting accident the Crown Prince decided to replace the old royal advisers - the "senile old guard".

After the coronation much of the palace staff went too, cooks, footmen, guards replaced by offspring, or even grandchildren - the old king had liked stability,

But the fool? A fool can be foolhardy, cynical, or insulting- but needs wisdom, unusual in the young.
But the athletic, punning new one was a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back