Binary watch

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I'm thinking of getting one of these watches, just for the 'geek factor'.

Has anybody got one?
Are they ok to operate/read?
Cheers
Screenshot_20201129-061819.jpg

Last edited:
I’m curious. Why is it called binary? I expected the time to be displayed in nowt but ones and zeroes.

I’m thinking that it might be because the hours and minutes are in two columns, which maybe somebody thought they could market as binary. I think I would have gone a bit further and changed the columns to resemble a game of tetris (with hour and minute blocks dropping until at 1200, they reach the top and then start again). :)

If it’s the one I think it is*, it’s pretty cheap, well under a tenner, so I’d say go for it for a bit of fun.
If someone asks you for the time, just show them your wrist and enjoy their reaction!

*I went and looked it up on Amazon.
I'll have another look, I must have missed that, the one I saw was £23!

I did a search on Amazon and there's one for around £20 that displays the time as binary code. Looks pretty neat. :)

You didn't want one until Amazon showed it to you. Don't fall for their mind games! Unless you buy it via one of Brian's affiliate links. ;)
I like to search for what I want on Amazon and then find a third party that’s also selling it.

I’m curious. Why is it called binary? I expected the time to be displayed in nowt but ones and zeroes.
It's definitely a duodecimal watch. :) From a quick google there do exist binary clocks that just show ones and zeroes.

Looks quite cool, though may take you slightly longer to read the time than normal.
What are the red numbers 1-4 for?

Looks quite cool, though may take you slightly longer to read the time than normal.

It has a 'Wk' setting, so I guess they are for weeks. Assuming that you also include all green lights off as 'week 1' then that gives you 13 green setting multiplied by the four will give you 'working weeks'. (Who knows what the watch does on day 365 or the extra day for a leap year which is in week 53 officially. Probably all the red numbers switch off?)

Thought you were referring to mine for a moment...then read on.

Anyway, the hands moved anti-clockwise so the time was just what it said it was.

The green numbers are hours, the blue numbers are for every five minutes, ie the numbers on a watch, and the red numbers 1 - 4 are for the minutes in between.

This made my think of the Gemini Man watch - not the recent Will Smith film, but a Ben Murphy 1976 series cancelled after only 5 episodes - which counted down the invisibility time remaining.

With the pilot, there were actually 12 episodes.

Reminds me of a sitcom I saw in the Seventies. The character had a huge wall clock that had multicolored geometric figures on it. She explained at length how the figures said (say) 9:12. Then the figures totally changed and she said “See, now it’s 9:13.”
Later in the show a visitor looks at the clock, says “Look at the time, gotta run!” and leaves.

Reminds me of a sitcom I saw in the Seventies. The character had a huge wall clock that had multicolored geometric figures on it. She explained at length how the figures said (say) 9:12. Then the figures totally changed and she said “See, now it’s 9:13.”
Later in the show a visitor looks at the clock, says “Look at the time, gotta run!” and leaves.
It was one of the episodes of Rhoda starring Valerie Harper