Inhibitor Phase

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Werthead recently announced that Alistair Reynolds has turned in a new novel set in the Revelation Space universe. Called Inhibitor Phase, I’ll definitely pick up a copy. Now there is a cover, I thought it’s be worth posting here.

C46EC788-D03B-49FC-A1D0-11A6DA56AF9B.jpeg

I’m not sure of the release date, but I hope it’s better than Elysium Fire.

Werthead recently announced that Alistair Reynolds has turned in a new novel set in the Revelation Space universe. Called Inhibitor Phase, I’ll definitely pick up a copy. Now there is a cover, I thought it’s be worth posting here.

View attachment 72804

I’m not sure of the release date, but I hope it’s better than Elysium Fire.
I'll definitely pick this up. Anything in the Revelation Space Universe is high on my list of favourite series'.

The blurb (From Forbidden Planet's web page.)

Miguel de Ruyter is a man with a past.

Fleeing the ‘wolves’ - the xenocidal alien machines known as Inhibitors - he has protected his family and community from attack for forty years, sheltering in the caves of an airless, battered world called Michaelmas.

The slightest hint of human activity could draw the wolves to their home, to destroy everything … utterly. Which is how Miguel finds himself on a one-way mission with his own destructive mandate: to eliminate a passing ship, before it can bring unwanted attention down on them.

Only something goes wrong.

There’s a lone survivor.

And she knows far more about Miguel than she’s letting on . . .

Ranging from the depths of space to the deeps of Pattern Juggler waters, from nervous, isolated communities to the ruins of empire, this is a stealthy space opera from an author at the top of his game.

I downloaded this today. (Funny, i thought that i had preordered it.) I also bought a hardback for the Library and if Forbidden Planet do a signing, i'll pick up one of those too. The RS universe is one of my favourite and it's incredible to think that the first book is over 20 years old.

I'll start this when i finish my current read.

Apologies for the nonsense post. I wrote some draft thoughts down and published in error.

Last edited:
The book started pretty slow and I found that the initial chapters had no feeling to them whatsoever. Although words were said I read them with no sense of emotion and I was worried that I'd be disappointed with it. I just don't think Reynolds writes humanity well. Once Glass reveals herself to de Ruyter, I thought there there is an element of detachment in the characters that really suited Reynolds's writing style and the story really takes off.

Overall, I bloody loved this book. It's a real return to form for Reynolds after the enjoyable but disappointing Elysium Fire. I found the ending a weirdly open, but definite.

A couple of spoilery bits.

My first thoughts on reading this was "what happened to the Greenfly"? The ending of Reynolds Galactic North has been completely ignored. For the better, as it turns out.

The chapters with John the Revelator were really awesome and I was delighted that his final action atoned somewhat for his sins. (I'd love for AR to write a semi-biographical account of his exploits.)

To me the Revelation Space universe was all Yellowstone as it was such a large part of the books. I felt let down that the destruction of Chasm City happened "off book" and would have loved to have read about the Wolf destruction of it. Perhaps we'll read about it in another book.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t Reynolds strongest book.

I give it a rating of 445 out of a possible 627.