Dykstra's War by Jefferey D Kooistra

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
Dyksta's War – a review
A fast moving space opera, humanity is starting to go out the Solar System when it runs into the nasty aliens, they wipe out some ships. But a couple of alien vessels are destroyed leaving the secrets of their FTL drive.

Back on Earth is this very old (126 yrs) super genius. He gave mankind the impulse drive to rapidly scoot around the Solar System, he soon, with another scientist who is smart autistic, reverse engineers the alien drive.

He improves it massively and they do the same with captured alien weapons. The aliens have, for billions of years, lived in deep space by mining comets. They are advanced but not intelligent, like tool using crows but more spider like.
Whenever the aliens meet another race they mobilise and destroy it as a threat to their species, thus creating the Fermi Paradox.

As well as the genius engineers on Earth there is a genius biologist who works out that the aliens have high iron blood and creates a super germ to waste them.
Also the Earth has super genius military people and a super genius industrialist, the aliens have a million spacecraft but have no chance really when it comes to brains Vs strength of numbers.

I enjoyed the story but got irked at some of the writing techniques used. For example a conversation would be taking place, but then, with no gap or page break, you’d slowly realise there’d been a jump of several weeks and an anticipated event was now history.

So basically a varied group of brainiacs (did I mention they were all very heroic and duty orientated) came together to wipe out this alien menace. They were somewhat reluctant to go full genocide until they decided the aliens had no souls.

Thanks Danny. So if the aliens don’t have souls, does that imply in this novel that humans do? Which leads to my second question, you intimated in another thread that it was showing signs of Christian thoughts or dialogue midway through - is it a “Christian” book?

Thanks Danny, I have to say it sounds underwhelming.

Thanks Danny. So if the aliens don’t have souls, does that imply in this novel that humans do? Which leads to my second question, you intimated in another thread that it was showing signs of Christian thoughts or dialogue midway through - is it a “Christian” book?
Not really, I thought it was heading that way but then no further God talk until the final chapters
"kill them all, they ain't got no souls anyway"

Back