Disney breaks contract with Alan Dean Foster, refuses to pay royalties on older STAR WARS books

I read a nice, big pay off. Good on ADF for fighting this.

If I were a business, I'd think that the bad publicity, together with the lawyers fees, far outweighed any small royalty payments. That Disney thought they were so big that they can do whatever they liked is the most telling thing about all this. I'm always going to support the little guy, but here the little guy was also right too.

Alan Dean Foster, or anyone creating original content, needs to be properly paid. Thanks to social media, bad publicity can be generated on a huge scale but it takes either a lot of money or a lot of public support. Huge corporations are acting like they are countries of their own design, run by autocratic rules of their own design. Disney has a huge audience viewing or riding their content who don't care what Disney does as long as it entertains them. Only a very small percentage is engaged in creating original material, and even there, a good number of them might not even be paying attention because it is not happening in their field of interest. Legal action might be the only way to resolve this issue if Disney is looking to make this standard operating practice. The supreme court, has made some interesting decisions lately, no telling how this one would turn out.

I hope all goes well for ADF, but given how little people were moved by his plight I fully expect to see Disney do this type of action over and over again. Especially given how many people seem to be pouring their money into Disney+, so a few lawyers to keep things tangled up are pocket money to them.

I hope all goes well for ADF, but given how little people were moved by his plight I fully expect to see Disney do this type of action over and over again. Especially given how many people seem to be pouring their money into Disney+, so a few lawyers to keep things tangled up are pocket money to them.
I'm not sure what you mean. The matter was hugely publicised across dozens of genre websites, sparking widespread condemnation of Disney. Hashtags critical of Disney briefly trended, and the matter has been continuously raised and mentioned since then. Disney appear to have climbed down over the matter.

I'm not sure what you mean. The matter was hugely publicised across dozens of genre websites, sparking widespread condemnation of Disney. Hashtags critical of Disney briefly trended, and the matter has been continuously raised and mentioned since then. Disney appear to have climbed down over the matter.
I just mean that most people continued to pay for Disney+ despite their actions with ADF. It didn't work out for them this time, but what about the next time? Or the next? As long as the money keeps flowing in despite what they do to creators I think they'll keep trying this sort of thing.

I can't find any articles that say the issue has been resolved. One can only hope that negotiations are going on in private, which could also set a bad precedent. Each person would have to negotiate their own deal without publicity. This is one of the not so helpful aspects of the web. It launches news way up into the stratosphere where anyone can see it, for a limited period of time. Quite often it ends like fireworks, a lot of noise, light, and smoke, astounding the crowd, and then the news falls back to Earth, but not where you can see it. It gets buried beneath a never ending rain of articles which become a readers responsibility to continue searching for information that has quietly sunk out of sight. I suppose if every article was left open for easy viewing of the latest updates, that would also become unworkable.

Great news. I look forward to reading the details of the agreement.

I suspect the vast majority of Mandalorian viewers have never heard of ADF, sadly.

??? I can't make the connection. Did I miss something we said about Bradbury?
Bradbury said the point of Fahrenheit 451 was that television destroys social interest in literature (though apparently this was something he said years after the fact).

Semi-related addendum: I recently developed a theory that illustrated books are humanity's most perfect art form.

Bradbury said the point of Fahrenheit 451 was that television destroys social interest in literature (though apparently this was something he said years after the fact).

Semi-related addendum: I recently developed a theory that illustrated books are humanity's most perfect art form.

You might find In Caverns Below by Stanton Coblentz to be of interest.