What are you working on right now?

Mouse

I thought there was a thread like this, but I've searched back and the only one I could find was 'What do we all write?' which isn't really what I mean.

So, this'll be interesting. We all like talking about ourselves...

What are you working on, writing wise, right now. It can be editing, research, short stories, novel, comp entries. Anything you're working on, I want to hear about. As long as it's related to writing. If you're fixing your car or something, I don't care.

At the moment I'm mostly working on the revisions from the publisher with allmywires, but when I'm not doing that, I'm working on my Allery story.

More specific? Today, I had to add more kink to the romance. The publisher liked a certain scene we had, but wanted more pre-scene stuff. So it meant I had to put a weird search thing into Google. I won't share. :D But I ended up adding almost 400 words.

With my Allery story I'm currently researching lots of drug abuse stuff. One of my characters is a junkie. I was watching a vid on YouTube about a guy in prison going through withdrawals and learning about how the veins in your arms kinda disappear.

Your turn.

Yikes. Heavy research topic. I was planning on a piece that dealt with deep psychological problems such as paranoid schizophrenia (still try to put a t in there) but the research started dragging me down.

Now I'm working on my blog a bit, starting to self-publish on Amazon and trying to sort all that out, rewriting a novella piece that I'd abandoned awhile ago, and kind of stuck on the beginning of a Twilight Zone style piece. I have the back 3/4 worked out, but for some reason the opening is sticking. Doesn't usually work that way for me so it's new, but not necessarily in a good way.

I'm waiting for a big edit, playing with a new MG idea (I say playing, 10k in five days between work commitments maybe means it's playing with me) and running my last one through my writing group for editing. Oh, and threatening to finish the trilogy. Maybe. If I can bear it....

Finishing off my submission to the Aliens anthology. I'm also halfway through the first draft of Kingdom Asunder, a full-length novel.

On the backburner is a new Sir Edric adventure, probably to be entitled Sir Edric's Treasure. Lots of disruption tomorrow means I won't be able to get much done on the old computer, so I may spend much of the day working on the first chapter of that with pen and paper. [Unlike my other stuff, I do lots of work for comedy with pen and paper].

I'm two-thirds of the way through a new thing and my long-suffering writing group have just started critting it. After that I'm planning to go back to my last wip which was drafted then pushed to the back of a drawer for stewing and tidy it up (=rewrite it almost completely. I only worked out what I was doing when I got to the end), so that's at the back of my mind.

I've also been ambushed by a new idea. Haven't written anything yet and all I have is a couple of scenes and a general structure. It's not the kind of thing I normally write and I think it might be fun.

Yikes. Heavy research topic.

Yeah. I've not got into the psychological stuff with it yet so it's just physical at the mo, but it's pretty grim.

I was planning on a piece that dealt with deep psychological problems such as paranoid schizophrenia (still try to put a t in there) but the research started dragging me down.

I bet it's really interesting, but can definitely see how it'd get too much.

I'm waiting for a big edit, playing with a new MG idea (I say playing, 10k in five days between work commitments maybe means it's playing with me) and running my last one through my writing group for editing. Oh, and threatening to finish the trilogy. Maybe. If I can bear it....

Ooh, close to finishing??

Thad - how come you do the comedy stuff with pen and paper?

I have three different streams on my UF novel. Draft one is at about 82k words, is in the climax, and will hopefully finish soon. Draft two is about 33k words -- this is draft one polished and formatted, ready to be sent to the group. Draft three will be on the writing group's comments on draft two -- comments have come back and I'm ready to apply them. This will be the draft for submission +/- another beta read or two.

Apart from that, a 2k short has made it to round three for an ezine. If it comes back, I look for another.

And all along, novel no. 1 (YA SF) is being submitted and rejected agent by agent.

Yikes. Heavy research topic. I was planning on a piece that dealt with deep psychological problems such as paranoid schizophrenia (still try to put a t in there) but the research started dragging me down.

I'm a psychiatrist and I'm happy to help, especially if you can nail your issues down to a few specific questions ;)

Close-ish. The first third is solid, the next third needs depth, the last third is scanty at best. But I know the end and who lives and dies...

If you-know-who dies I'm actually never speaking to you again. Just FYI. :p:D

La-la-la-la.... :)

Pah.

I have three different streams on my UF novel. Draft one is at about 82k words, is in the climax, and will hopefully finish soon. Draft two is about 33k words -- this is draft one polished and formatted, ready to be sent to the group. Draft three will be on the writing group's comments on draft two -- comments have come back and I'm ready to apply them. This will be the draft for submission +/- another beta read or two.

Three drafts of the same story, alc? Then do you merge them together or something?

Each draft is the revised version of the last; I just switch between them depending on time etc. For instance, I can only apply crits on the laptop (at home) whereas I do most of the writing and early editing on my phone, when out and about.

I do have to keep a close eye on it! But it's about the best use of time. If I completely finished each draft before the next, I'd end up twiddling my thumbs during the third draft at lunchtime (or I'd have to talk to my co-workers!*)

* who are lovely, really!

Hmm I'm writing up a couple of essays for OU, deadline on both of them for end of next week! Must work faster!

I'm still trying to finish up the 300 word challenge, I think I can have that done shortly though. Also I have received a SekritSanta assignment :D

I've been working on a blog post about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, that's on the back burner for a few days though now.

Then there's my current WiP, a sci-fi/crime story, with not too much emphasis on the sci-fi.

Are you now more kinked than when you started the thread, Mouse?

I'm weighing up writing a play about my old couple Wilf and Doris - I like the idea of them sitting on a bench, talking, holding hands, drinking tea whilst watching a bank robbery or a KKK meeting or something like that.

But right now I'm working on Cuckoo's Nest and saying goodbye to the first four chapters. (Sniff!) And trying to decide whether or not to make Wilf a miller rather than a gamekeeper... there are advantages to both.

Mith, I just got a sweet TMNT shirt yesterday in the mail

Shirt of the Day – Michelangelo Evolution | Aggressive Comix

I am working on a bunch of shorts. I think I have written about 6 flash pieces this month.

Currently I am doing a story for Gary's new project at SpectralBoo. It is a cool, scary one that is really fun to write. I plan on finishing it today or tomorrow then editing it.

Also on my mind is my WIP that I stopped due to working on short stuff and I am going to reprint what I have done and rewrite with a new idea I came up with.

I also started something to submit to Gary for the Aliens thing but of course I came up with another idea for it so it is running cold for the moment.

Trying to write queries, just sent off two stories to a kids lit competition (for writers living in my state), will probably spend a lot of February looking up info on and going through the books of the writers/editors/agents that will be at the writers conference I'm going to at the end of the month.

Have scribbled beginnings to three different things; not sure which one I want to work on next, though. Toying with trying my hand at YA...

I'm working on a story at the minute, it's kind of a retrospective view and has a growing word count.

Also working on 2 essays for university that I just got this week and am tweaking an article for a journal that I should have done last november but life got in the way of it!

Off to research........... :)