Ahsoka, a Star Wars novel and-- hnngh

Mrs A

TL;DR

Ahsoka by E.K. Johnston was not my cup of tea. At all.

A month or two ago, as I was browsing the web for new books to read, I came across something that made me gasp of delight. Ahsoka! A novel just about her, looking at what happened to her in the gap between Clone Wars and Rebels! I just had to read it.

Flailing about, I went to prod my husband.

"GUESS WHAT I FOUND! There is an Ahsoka novel! I'm gonna buy it, ordering it right now!"

He looked at me funny.

"Ehm..."

Now here I need to insert a wee bit of personal information, that's of the less pleasant kind. In treatment for severe depression, I received ECT (electric chock therapy) this spring and summer. One of the unfortunate side effects was partial memory loss. Hngh.

"What?" I asked, confused.

"Oh nothing. It's just, you got me the Ahsoka novel for Christmas. We already have it."

I squealed. Yeah, really.

"Have... Have I read it?" I asked.

He confirmed that yes, I had read it. Well screw that, I thought. I'm reading it again then! Husband snickered curiously at me, but said no more.

So, I got to re-reading Ahsoka, as if for the first time. After a few pages I facepalmed hard.

"This... This is crap," I told my husband, who was seated next to me in our cozy little library. He laughed out loud.

"Yeeeah. You said that last time too. You even asked forgiveness for having bought me such a lousy novel. I didn't think it was that bad, but you really hated it."

I decided I was going to finish it anyway. Afterwards I begged hubby to please warn me if I decided to read it again. Because holy sh*t, this book...

shudder.gif

Extreme tell-don't-show.
Two dimensional characters.
Frustratingly childish in every way.

You have been warned.

Given the new Star Wars canon's treatment of the novels (pretending they're canon to get people to buy them and then completely ignoring them), I think it's safe to say that this and all of the novels published since 2012 can be very safely ignored.

Given the new Star Wars canon's treatment of the novels (pretending they're canon to get people to buy them and then completely ignoring them), I think it's safe to say that this and all of the novels published since 2012 can be very safely ignored.

As alternate timeline stories in the Star Wars Universe.

I have this, but I haven’t read it. I haven’t read any Star Wars books since the Yuuzhon Vong series. I do want to go back and read all of Timothy Zahn’s Thrawn books, I think there are about half a dozen now.

Back