Missing information

Fusionpete

I read a terrific SF book in the late 60’s / early 70’s.
I cannot remember who the author was or the title.
It was about the universe being a large creature and everything inside it, parts of its body. The human race were like atoms for this creature. If anyone can advise on the title &/or author, I’d be very grateful Thanks

Can't help you with this, but I will move the thread over to Book Search which is where we keep the most learned of our denizens chained up, ready to answer queries of this kind!
Thank you. That’s really appreciated

Thank you. I’ll check this out but it doesn’t sound familiar in any way. That said, it was a long time ago when I read this book, whatever it was

Hi,

There have been a number of stories like this, imagining the universe as a sort of machine / sentient consciousness. The best I can think of at this stage is A Fire Upon the Depp, by Vernor Vinge which matches up with your description but is much more recent - 1992.

Outside of that it's mostly short stories, but there were quite a few which explored this idea. Most of the classic sci fi writers will have one.

Cheers, Greg.

I read a terrific SF book in the late 60’s / early 70’s.
I cannot remember who the author was or the title.
It was about the universe being a large creature and everything inside it, parts of its body. The human race were like atoms for this creature. If anyone can advise on the title &/or author, I’d be very grateful Thanks

Definitely not a book (that I know of), but this reminds me of Xenoblade Chronicles, which seems to have a similar premise. It may have been influenced (at least when it comes to the idea of a world that is actually a living being) by a book? Might be interesting to look into that, especially if the plot of the book you're thinking about has similarities with the game's plot. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Hi,

There have been a number of stories like this, imagining the universe as a sort of machine / sentient consciousness. The best I can think of at this stage is A Fire Upon the Depp, by Vernor Vinge which matches up with your description but is much more recent - 1992.

Outside of that it's mostly short stories, but there were quite a few which explored this idea. Most of the classic sci fi writers will have one.

Cheers, Greg.
Thanks Greg. It’s a much older story and it was a book rather than a short story as far as I can remember.
I’m also certain it was by someone really well known but I just can’t remember who.
Cheers