The Mandalorian - Chapter Ten - The Passenger

An interesting episode, but I'm not sure what the point of it was, from the ambush on Tatooine, to the spider-peril later on. Wasn't keen on Baby Yoda eating the spawn, though. Unless all this is to underline that the Child is developing an ammoral outlook. After all, it's being exposed to a lot of death and killing. Perhaps that's the lesson here? And the need for morale guidance from another teacher?

Also, interesting how the episodes so far directly connect, instead of being standalone and disjointed like some of the Season 1 ones were.

Last edited:
Wasn't keen on Baby Yoda eating the spawn, though. Unless all this is to underline that the Child is developing an ammoral outlook. After all, it's being exposed to a lot of death and killing. Perhaps that's the lesson here?

I believe it was just a random gag but you're right and I think it reveals one issue with the way 'Baby' Yoda is written into this show. On the one hand, he's sometimes depicted as a mindless baby who does random baby stuff like eating the precious spawns of an endangered species, has little to no understanding of the world around him and the stakes he represents in it. On the other hand...

he is also supposed to have attained the ripe old age of 50 or so and has been trained in the ways of the Jedi at their Temple on Coruscant for years, which I assume means he has at the very least a passing understanding of the universe, Jedi spirituality and possibly even warfare, having been alive on Coruscant at the time of the Clone Wars. I mean, I assume that when we-know-who says he was trained for years by the Jedi on Coruscant, she doesn't mean potty-trained, right?

So I don't think it's consistent or even coherent to show us 'Baby Yoda' as some innocent little baby thing who can sometimes lift things in the air. He should be a little more advanced than that.

Back