6.04: Fear The Walking Dead - The Key

ctg

weaver of the unseen
6EaQAj8.jpg

John is settling in as one of Virginia's rangers when a mysterious death sends him on an investigation that makes him question everything he thought about himself.

For life of me I cannot recall another 'police investigation' in Fear or TWD. We know Rick was the sheriff, but he kind of never did the investigative part of the work. Not really. John, different story, but for once he's back in the old job, investigating a murder.

We know that the family members are usually the first call for suspects, but Janine ain't the murderer. In fact, for John to find the sapphire earring in the ground suggests a higher value person than the washing lady.

Funny fact is that Ginny had ordered the victim to read J&J's love letters, and she was demanding John to drop the investigation and go with the captured suspect makes her more likely candidate than Janis. At least from a story perspective.

The evidence, if it would have been handled properly, could have revealed something else. It's just there ain't no prints and collecting DNA at Kirkman's world, since there's no electricity, databanks or crime labs. But for the sake of the living, John's right. The man didn't walk by himself to get hanged in the barbedwire fence.

Then Dakota suggested that her sister is trying to hide something. I cannot think any self respecting person with a police background could've left the idea behind and just get on with the daily routine. Although I know that some police actively avoid getting involved, but if you're in it, most certainly.

Most strongest piece of evidence was the torn log book page in the armoury. No ordinary person could have got the murder weapon checked out, or even to destroy the evidence. Then Janis made a false confession, leaving out the detail of how the death actually happened.

So, the question is why Ginny killed Cameroon, or why she's protecting the murderer? Without knowing the details it is hard to say anything, because all of it would be just speculation. All confirmed by Jacob by delivering his observation through Janis salvation prayers.

The rabbi acted as he if knew that Janis didn't do it. That he knew both why Ginny and John had done their deeds. A man of faith who everyone confess despite there's no need. Was he playing it or was he into the knowledge?

Funny thing is how Strand got involved in order 'to save John' from doing foolish thing, like getting killed while trying to murder the leader of the rangers. For a police he should have figured out a better way than stomping through the town with a gun in his hand.

I think we all get revenge, but for John to be the executioner, it's not going to happen.

5Qr5Ryu.jpg

So the guys doing the message knew the bounty hunter and the key is still in the play. What does it unlock? The lock is five pinner, unknown what is on the other side, but I doubt it's anything other than grooves. I can be wrong, but I think the prop department wants us to think it's a high security lock. Too bad Morgan wasted both suspects and lost the answer.

Fear the Walking Dead has seen one of the most unbelievable swings in quality ever to come across television. It's still early and the plane might not land perfectly but a quarter of the way through its sixth season, Fear the Walking Dead is thrilling on Sunday nights and it has not been that way for quite some time. In fact, it was quite the opposite for the majority of its Season 4 and Season 5 episodes, shedding the interesting elements of its characters and delivering a plot which often had fans scratching their heads about why or how any of it was happening or should be really interesting. Now, though, Fear the Walking Dead is must-watch television for the first time since its third season.

Fear the Walking Dead has clearly been giving its talented cast room for input and collaboration more than before in its sixth season, which has been a good thing. For Garret Dillahunt, the opportunity to make some suggestions for his John Dorie in Sunday night's Episode 6x04 made the latest hour of the zombie series very personal for the actor. Dillahunt talked with ComicBook.com for a deep dive into the episode, revealing that after a difficult personal year where he lost is father, the personal experience was incorporated into "The Key" episode which he dedicates to his father.
Garret Dillahunt Dedicates Fear The Walking Dead Episode To His Late Father

the key is still in the play
The mysterious key is seen for such a brief time in this episode that it seems unlikely that it is the key in the title.
Maybe the reference was to the key to solving the murder? Still doubtful, as John not failed to solve the crime but failed to save the victim.
I don't see how he could stand in front of the others and accept the accolades from Ginny. He didn't know that the reward package for playing along would include reunification with June.
This was an engaging look at what makes John tick, but the ending was unsatisfying.

Multiple keys, the key to the murder, the rangers keys, the different levels of rangers keys and the key that Morgan has.
Pacifist Morgan has well and truly gone.
Strand trying to stop John getting himself killed doesn't really sit, he might step up for Alicia or Charlie but anyone else no. Strand cares for Strand.
John is a nice guy, he will always try to protect others, I wonder how he has survived.

John is a nice guy, he will always try to protect others, I wonder how he has survived.

He didn't. He nearly offed himself, when he had nobody to love. He needs Judy or more so, he needs a woman to love or otherwise he'll get lost and do stupid things, because there is nobody to stop him.

Virginia, I'm struggling to get my head round her being the boss, strikes me as the spoilt brat of some rich rancher. How she has intimidated all those people to bow before her I can't work it out.
She doesn't have the presence of Negan or the governor, her voice is annoying, makes you want to slap her, although her set up is keeping a lot of people relatively safe.

Virginia, I'm struggling to get my head round her being the boss, strikes me as the spoilt brat of some rich rancher. How she has intimidated all those people to bow before her I can't work it out.
She doesn't have the presence of Negan or the governor, her voice is annoying, makes you want to slap her, although her set up is keeping a lot of people relatively safe.

True. She is annoying but she also has a brain. I think it's the key for this, because a lot of men underneath him are only muscle. We might never know how she got there, but the way it all has been set up her Daddy might have something to do with her placement. It's also clear that her sister is not accepting all that she's doing, but she's too afraid to go loud about it.

I assume there is going to be argument between the two in the future.

Multiple keys, the key to the murder, the rangers keys, the different levels of rangers keys and the key that Morgan has.
Yes, the title has multiple meanings. (y)
the ending was unsatisfying
The whole episode itself was unsatisfying, because we never found out why Cameron was murdered, or why Ginny wanted Janis to take the fall for it. Maybe, it is an important plot point and all will be revealed later, but I somehow think it isn't, and we will never discover.
Virginia, I'm struggling to get my head round her being the boss, strikes me as the spoilt brat of some rich rancher. How she has intimidated all those people to bow before her I can't work it out. She doesn't have the presence of Negan or the governor
She is obviously intelligent (smart) and emotionally intelligent (reads people), and she has very good intelligence (information gathering). However, she is a poor leader with no charisma, and I can't see why people would follow her. Even Negan and the Governor had some charisma when at their height of power. They were also brutal, and had brutal deputies, and they governed by fear. Ginny doesn't rule by fear of her, but more by a despondency and hopelessness that anything could be better if they leave. I can't see how that can last, nor how it keeps people productive. I'd expect more people like Janis to simply give up and throw themselves at the fences.
What does it unlock? The lock is five pinner, unknown what is on the other side, but I doubt it's anything other than grooves. I can be wrong, but I think the prop department wants us to think it's a high security lock. Too bad Morgan wasted both suspects and lost the answer.
The key looks like a disc tumbler lock key to me, of the kind that would open a safe. So, yes safe deposit box or something high security. I think the submarine was a red herring they threw us. It would have been much to easy too have Morgan ask them while they died.

Only back watching this as the show is now available on Amazon. I am enjoying it so far. A lot of mystery and misery in this episode. Ginny is involved in the murder somehow or is it Dakota? The Key? What is it for? I have a suspicion.

Reactions: ctg