The Mandalorian - Chapter Nine - The Marshal

Wasn't that Boba Fett and his armour?

You mean the boy lived the Sarlacc Pit? I would imagine that by the time of the series he would be much older, because when Jango lost his head, he was close ten, if not over. According to wookiepedia, the tale Marshall told about acquiring the armour is now canon and the kit is Mr Fett's kit, minus the groin shield. And the man, as you said is Mr Boba Fett.

Despite his brief appearances in the original trilogy, with only four lines of dialogue in The Empire Strikes Back, Boba became a popular character amongst Star Wars fans, which surprised series creator George Lucas. On the DVD commentary for Return of the Jedi, Lucas stated that if he had known Boba would be a popular character, he would have made the character's death in Return of the Jedi more exciting. Lucas contemplated adding a scene in Return of the Jedi where Boba climbed out of the sarlacc pit, especially in light of the character's story in Attack of the Clones, but ultimately decided against it because he thought that the audience would believe that Fett would appear later in the film if this scene had been seen.[44] However, on July 16, 2014, Star Wars author and historian Jonathan W. Rinzler stated in a Reddit AMA that Lucas has said that Boba also survived the sarlacc in the new canon.[45] This was officially confirmed when Fett appeared in "Chapter 9: The Marshal" of The Mandalorian Season Two.[34]

Although Lucas opted against adding Boba's escape, and the ambiguity surrounding the character's fate in sources such as the official Databank on StarWars.com,[18] the Star Wars Legends continuity, previously known as the Expanded Universe, saw Boba escape from the sarlacc.[46] He went on to appear in dozens of Expanded Universe stories set after Return of the Jedi. His last chronological Legends appearance was in Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse, set 40 years after Return of the Jedi.[47]

Wasn't that Boba Fett and his armour? He is not a Mandalorian and doesn't follow the Way.
But Mando assumes it's Mandalorian armor. Why else would he demand it? I do admit it looks exactly like Boba Fett's.

But Mando assumes it's Mandalorian armour.
They are talking about what that shadowy figure was actually wearing, not the armour that Mando took from the Marshal (which they assume once belonged to Boba Fett). They have information on Boba Fett from other different sources from this show.

Boba Fett is a clone of Jango Fett. SFX magazine (and other sources) say that the actor Temuera Morrison, who played Jango Fett in 2002's Star Wars: Attack of the Clones, will appear in season two of the Mandalorian. Unless he is playing a totally different unrelated character (highly unlikely) then Boba Fett will appear.

Wasn't that Boba Fett and his armour? He is not a Mandalorian and doesn't follow the Way.

No but I reckon it was his old armour ... it was all bashed in and Sarlaccy (from whose dung the jawas presumably got it ...)

I have only watched the Star Wars cinematic releases (and first season on Clone Wars animation). Generally, the rules here on Chronicles have always been (in an episode thread like this) that you "can only discuss this episode inside this topic. Reviews of the episode are encouraged" in order to avoid spoilers. So, that seems very simple - you can't talk about episode 10 in the thread for episode 1, and you can't talk about what happens in TWD graphic novels before it happens in the TV series. In practise, it get's more difficult with Star Wars and Star Trek. There is much more crossover. Especially in Star Wars, what is actually canon and what is not? My question is, do I need to read some particular book or watch some other Star Wars series in order to fully understand The Mandalorian as it appears that everyone else knows things I don't? And, with my moderator's cap on, I want to keep spoilers out of here, but they aren't really spoilers if everyone already knows them!

If no one minds/believes it is a spoiler, then can some one do a summary of the canon Jango Fett storyline so far, so we know why he doesn't wear his armour, isn't dead, etc.

If no one minds/believes it is a spoiler, then can some one do a summary of the canon Jango Fett storyline so far, so we know why he doesn't wear his armour, isn't dead, etc.

Daddy Fett is harder than the boy. Jango Fett was a bounty hunter and the clone template for the GRAND Army of the Republic. He was not a Mandalorian, even if the boy inherited the armour and Daddy's business. There is no tale on how he came with the armour, but we can assume it was acquired after the Mandalore - Jedi war.

In Dark Empire, fans first found out that Boba Fett survived the sarlacc, though they wouldn't learn how until years later. In 1995, Bantam Spectra released the anthology Tales from Jabba's Palace. The book included a short story titled "A Barve Like That: The Tale of Boba Fett" by J. D. Montgomery (a pseudonym of Daniel Keys Moran). The tale recounts Boba Fett's time within the sarlacc.

Upon awakening in the sarlacc, Boba Fett makes telepathic contact with Susejo, one of the sarlacc's earliest victims. Susejo's consciousness had fused with the monster. Susejo relays stories he heard from some of the sarlacc's other victims, including a Jedi from the Old Republic. Boba Fett isn't interested in the stories but comes up with an idea. By getting Susejo to make the sarlacc contract its muscles around Boba's jetpack, he triggers an explosion. The blast frees Boba Fett from the sarlacc's interior lining. Boba then uses concussion grenades to blast a hole in the side of the creature. Boba Fett leaves, becoming the first person known to have escaped a sarlacc, though the trial badly hurts him.

Boba would have died if the bounty hunter Dengar hadn't found him in the desert. Dengar nursed him back to health, and the two worked as partners for a brief time. A year after his escape, Boba Fett returned to the sarlacc, which was still alive, and told Susejo that he'd be back again sometime in the future.

Boba Fett went on to a new life from there. He continued as a bounty hunter and later had a family. He even fought alongside Han Solo and later trained Han and Leia's daughter, Jaina. But that was the old Expanded Universe. There's no telling where this new continuity will take Boba Fett.

:X3:

I have only watched the Star Wars cinematic releases (and first season on Clone Wars animation). Generally, the rules here on Chronicles have always been (in an episode thread like this) that you "can only discuss this episode inside this topic. Reviews of the episode are encouraged" in order to avoid spoilers. So, that seems very simple - you can't talk about episode 10 in the thread for episode 1, and you can't talk about what happens in TWD graphic novels before it happens in the TV series. In practise, it get's more difficult with Star Wars and Star Trek. There is much more crossover. Especially in Star Wars, what is actually canon and what is not? My question is, do I need to read some particular book or watch some other Star Wars series in order to fully understand The Mandalorian as it appears that everyone else knows things I don't? And, with my moderator's cap on, I want to keep spoilers out of here, but they aren't really spoilers if everyone already knows them!

@Dave

As far a secret knowledge is concerned - I know nothing.

I stopped watching the Star Wars franchise after I literally (not figuratively) fell asleep (out of boredom) during the episode where the Storm troopers were first made (I'm led to understand that they were modeled on some Mandalorian character) - but as I said I fell asleep.

I watch the Mandalorian series because it's one up from the test card (now no longer available, sadly).

I see images and hear sounds. I see and hear things that seem to me, of questionable coherance. I try to leave it at that, but people on this site keep inciting me to comment on these incongruities.

There is no need for speculation as to next week's series of images and sounds.

What will be will be - Doris.

@Dave --- I've watched the cinematic releases and last year watched the entire animated Clone Wars. But still a lot of the insight passes me right by since I've not read any of the other stuff. Still, I don't see how that spoils anything. For me it just makes me look harder at what is being shown.

*The Clone Wars Animated series was a lot better than I expected, and I felt it got better as it went along. The characters got depth, the plot became apparent, and I was really sorry to see the end of it.

Reactions: ctg
The Mandalorian returned last week, with big reveals, big aliens, and little Baby Yoda. But while we’re all excited about what its return sets up going forward, guest star W. Earl Brown is more than happy to fondly look back on tending bar in a galaxy far, far away.

Brown played an unnamed Weequay bartender in “Chapter 9" of the show, “The Marshal.” Tending the lone drinking hole of small Tatooine settlement Mos Pelga, his character was a small but important part of the episode, putting our titular Bounty Hunter hero and his little asset on the path to meet Timothy Olyphant’s Cobb Vanth: the mysterious marshal wearing the recovered armor of Boba Fett.

To answer my own question, and reading more of the SFX magazine article, it appears that much of the Mandalorian back-story comes from events in Star Wars - Rebels, and also there is more to come yet. Maybe that is what I need to watch?

Maybe that is what I need to watch?

Yes and I do recommend that you read my thread as well as I go deeper into it then you'll see in the small screen. I try my best to not include the stuff unless it's needed. In the clone wars, watch at least last three seasons.

It's clearly Bob Fett's iconic armour. Not just the exact markings and paint, but the dents too. A lot of effort went into this costume to make it an exact match to the RotJ costume, but older and more weathered.

Bob fett was the clone son of Jango. He was modified from the regular clones to grow and age normally. I doubt in this time period there are many clones left.

The guy at the end isn't some random guy. It's the actor who played Jango (and the clones) in the movies. It clearly must be Bob fett. Don't forget this is 4 years after he fell in the sarlacc pit (on this planet). Maybe he's been looking for his armour ever since.

I might be missing the joke re the ending as it was obvs to me, but...

The ending:

That actor is Temeura Morrison, who played Jango Fett and voiced Boba (and the film clones). In the credits online it says Boba Fett - Temuera Morrison. I'd assumed it was him or Captain Rex. Rex would be much older though as he had the age-accelerant all clones had so should look 80ish

However it might be obvs because I'm just an utter fanboy re SW :D

Reactions: ctg
Don't forget this is 4 years after he fell in the sarlacc pit (on this planet).

Much, much later. The Dark Sabre is the key. The Emperor has been taken down, New Republic is young and inexperienced to control the galaxy. It is a wild, wild west out there. We should not also forget that someone named Skywalker has reclaimed certain moisture farm by this time.

Much, much later. The Dark Sabre is the key. The Emperor has been taken down, New Republic is young and inexperienced to control the galaxy. It is a wild, wild west out there. We should not also forget that someone named Skywalker has reclaimed certain moisture farm by this time.
Sorry to dissagree but its not much, much later. This series is set 4 to 5 years after Return of the Jedi. (when Fett falls into the sarlac)....its the whole premise of the series

Yes, a great start to season 2.

I have but two questions. Well #2 has multiple parts -

But, what is it? A Pearl? Some kind of egg? Horta eggs?

2. Was the whole "finding a Mandalorian on Tatooine to ask him where to find the baby's own kind" plot just one big MacGuffin?
Mando never asked the Marshal that question in the end, so was the one-eyed guy lying? The Marshal wasn't even a real Mandalorian, but he did dress as one, and so could be mistaken for one, So, was the one-eyed guy simply mistaken?

Or, was the mysterious watcher on the hilltop in the closing seconds the real Mandalorian he should have been looking for? Or was he someone else entirely?

So the bowling ball thing is actually a rare and precious pearl created in the intestines of the Krayt dragon by eating rocks and stones to aid it's digestion. My guess is the sand people were searching for it/reacted this way upon finding it because they had this knowledge of the beast already, which the townsfolk probably didn't. Also the whole premise of fighting the Krayt dragon and the exact method they used to kill it was the exact plot line of the tattoine level in Knights of the old republic and I honestly love that. It's so cool to see a shout out to a legendary game like that and the fact that they can recycle worlds, species and characters like that is so fulfilling.

I'm just an utter fanboy re SW
Clearly, the writers of this are too. Which is not a bad thing. I think recent writers in some franchises i.e. Star Trek, Dr. Who need to up their game.

So, in order to understand all the nuances and references within this, I would need to watch -
events in Star Wars - Rebels
In the Clone Wars, watch at least last three seasons.
the exact plot line of the Tattoine level in Knights of the Old Republic
As that clearly isn't going to happen, I'll rely on people here to 'keep me in the know.'
no need for speculation as to next week
I have to say, that as a "non-fanboy re SW", that this series is very easily watchable without knowing any of that back-story. I doubt you even need to have watched any SW at all, although (and @TheEndIsNigh may disagree) it does make it better.

Back