Why did "The Expanse" fail to get the attention of mainstream TV viewers?

Bren G

Supporter
I think you would find yourself enjoying it; if you gave it a bit more of a go. I thought it really hit it's stride about mid-way through the first serason. --- Not to say there weren't some parts that made me cringe, but overall one of the best TV S.F. ever.
I'll give it a go this weekend Parson!

Peter V

I was late to The Expanse, starting in February, I had to force myself to slow down, trying desperately not to watch episodes back to back (and failing several times) so that I could savour it and stretch it our for as long as possible. I thought it was outstanding and better than the BSG reboot (which I enjoyed) and kicks the likes of STD out of the ballpark. I think the diverse characters are so believable and well realised and almost without exception, so well played that I would probably still have watched it if the plots had been weak. They weren't though, in fact quite the opposite.

Moreover, the character arcs are believable. Early on I could not have imagined I would get so invested with the story of Amos but it was compelling. Roberta "Bobby" Draper, on the surface an antagonistic and typical soldier but it wasn't long before I could not decide who I would want to kick my ass most, her or Carmina Drummer, arguably the pair of them are vying for the place of my favourite female character in anything SF I have ever watched (no disrespect to the wonderful Shohreh Aghdshloo as Chrisjen Avasarala). Jared Harris as Anderson Dawes - what a creation and the depth of David Strathairn as Klaes Ashford - was that really the guy from the Bourne films!

In answer to why it did not get more mainstream recognition, I am not sure. Maybe people are just not aware of it - I certainly wasn't until someone recommended it and I realised it was based on Leviathan Wakes, which I read a few years back (I never did get round to the rest of the series and probably won't now). I am trying to put this right by recommending it to as many people as I can. Of those I have recommended it to so far, only three have started watching. They love it too and it is no surprise to me that they have started to recommend it to people too.

Right, I have put myself in the mood to go and watch some Expanse stuff on You Tube :rolleyes: