Experimental Science and Science Fiction Pamphlet

Serendipity

A Traditional Eccentric!
I'd like to try an experiment next year for which I need your help... (and christmas presents...)

I'm looking to publishing science and science fiction (SSF) quarterly pamphlets next year - basically slimmed down versions of magazines without the plush artwork that in many cases push up their prices. It will contain my science column about a technology very applicable to writing science fiction. What is missing is science fiction stories. And this is where I need chronners help.

What am I looking for? Science fiction stories that are
  • About our realisable futures
  • 3,000 to 6,000 words
  • Family friendly
  • Original and unpublished
  • Do not contain references to fandom shows etc or other copyrighted work
Practicalities
  • I'm limiting story submissions to chronners for now. PM me your story so I know you are actually member.
  • Stories for the first issue need to be submitted by close of play, December 25th.
  • Only two stories per issue will be published.
  • Story in word .doc or .docx format - ideally in that standard William Shunn's format with contact details and a standard font like Arial or Times New Roman.
  • If stories are accepted, there will be editing done. Editing that affects the story content will be agreed with the author prior to publication (this is usually what I call consistency and polishing editing)
  • There will be a contract per story - usual standard terms.
Because I'm running this on a very tight budget, I can only offer a token payment. Therefore all I'm asking in return is exclusive print and electronic publishing rights for one month after publication date.

With this post, let the great science and science fiction pamphlet experiment begin!

(Note to staff / moderators - I have already discussed this Brian and he has kindly allowed me to do this on this website.)

Ooh, I'll have a think about this, though since my SF is so marshmallow soft it makes the original Star Trek look like cutting edge technology, the chances of me getting something that would fit a science-based publication is practically zero! Good luck with the whole venture anyway!

Only a month to go until Christmas and the closing date for submissions to this pamphlet. I'm looking forward to all your exciting wonderful stories.... :LOL:o_O:D:cool::giggle:

OK... I've come up with a list of possible names for the pamphlet and wanted to see you thought.

1. SF Forge
  2. Novator SF
  3. Etaerio SF
All sing to me in different ways... let's see what you think?

Etaerio speaks to what you're doing--combining two things into one--but most people won't get that. Would a more obvious term work for that, such as "fuse" or "weld"?

From your triad, Etaerio is the one that stands out as the most distinctive. It doesn't trip off the tongue and will be harder to remember but it has a clearer identity.

Less than a week before this submission window closes, said me anticipating stories to come.... you have until Christmas Day - well I do looks me Chrissie pressies...

What am I looking for? From above (no not the heavens)...

Science fiction stories that are
  • About our realisable futures
  • 3,000 to 6,000 words
  • Family friendly
  • Original and unpublished
  • Do not contain references to fandom shows etc or other copyrighted work
Practicalities
  • I'm limiting story submissions to chronners for now. PM me your story so I know you are actually member.
  • Stories for the first issue need to be submitted by close of play, December 25th.
  • Only two stories per issue will be published.
  • Story in word .doc or .docx format - ideally in that standard William Shunn's format with contact details and a standard font like Arial or Times New Roman.
  • If stories are accepted, there will be editing done. Editing that affects the story content will be agreed with the author prior to publication (this is usually what I call consistency and polishing editing)
  • There will be a contract per story - usual standard terms.
Because I'm running this on a very tight budget, I can only offer a token payment. Therefore all I'm asking in return is exclusive print and electronic publishing rights for one month after publication date.

Well... after due consideration... and taking into account your comments above - thank you all... and having decided I can take a little leg-pulling from one member of sffchronicles once the penny drops with said member... the magazine's title will be...

ETAERIO SF

More news soon...