What next for the Alien?

I don't think you can compare Alien, a horror/SF franchise for adults which makes people scared, with Dr Who, which is ultimately a weekly children's programme which makes people angry.

But I take the point that if a villain is continually avoided or defeated, it loses its strength. I just think the Alien is done, and it ought to be retired with some dignity. Not that that'll happen.

Last edited:
How about one where the Xenomorph wins?
Or at least the Heroes loose.

I don't think you can compare Alien, a horror/SF franchise for adults which makes people scared, with Dr Who, which is ultimately a weekly children's programme which makes people angry.
Best description of Dr Who ever.

Incidentally I agree that the Alien should be left alone, in every possible sense (although the game Alien: Isolation was terrific).

It's done its bit: I detest the way I can go into Smyth's toy shop and see a factory-produced 12-inch purple Alien Queen made for 9 year olds. It's an ignominious endgame for cinema's most gruesome and terrifying creature. Let it be.

Best description of Dr Who ever.

Incidentally I agree that the Alien should be left alone, in every possible sense (although the game Alien: Isolation was terrific).

It's done its bit: I detest the way I can go into Smyth's toy shop and see a factory-produced 12-inch purple Alien Queen made for 9 year olds. It's an ignominious endgame for cinema's most gruesome and terrifying creature. Let it be.
Have you seen the Nerf M41-A?

I've always suspected that the Alien evolved acidic blood to help it fend off the Thing. In seriousness, the Alien from Alien and the Thing feel as if they might inhabit the same grisly universe.

To each, the other could be the ultimate enemy.

Iirc there were a series of predator comics, in the 90s, with an earth woman earning the right to join a predator hunt, in that an alien had made it to earth and within a few years earth was devastated fit only for predator hunting parties.

Iirc there were a series of predator comics, in the 90s, with an earth woman earning the right to join a predator hunt, in that an alien had made it to earth and within a few years earth was devastated fit only for predator hunting parties.
I have the first issue of that series. I wish I had had the money at the time to continue reading it.

I did have the set but haven't read them in years, over 20 I guess, they were safely tucked up in a box in the loft and then we had the fire.

"Noah Hawley Wants His Alien Series To Return To The Franchise's Roots"

Noah Hawley's upcoming "Alien" series will be borrowing more than just the title from the original film. Hailing from FX, the small-screen debut of the seminal franchise has been in development for quite some time. Instead of following suit with the (many) "Alien" sequels, the Hawley-created show will tell a story set in the same universe years removed from the events of the 1979 movie. Despite the lack of returning characters and familiar faces, Hawley is determined to extract what made "Alien" so special in the first place while exploring new ground.

Abbott and Costello encountered the Creature From the Black Lagoon in a tv promo so that's a dry run for the Alien.

I have to say though-ALIEN is more proof of my theory that the real superstars of the blockbuster were the FX people. Because Dykstra, Trumbull, Dick Smith, Giger--they are the ones who carried the movies on their backs. Without their contribution, would any of these movies have worked?

Only Jaws could --perhaps--maybe--debatable, have worked without the mechanical shark but it was state-of-the-art FX for its time so...if the shark never appeared except as nature footage inserts--I don't think it would have done so well.
Easy for us to take for granted now but running a big shark fin on a track in the middle of the ocean was very unique for its day. Even though the shark didn't work as planned it was still breaking boundaries in terms of visual experience.

Alien had both excellent actors and plot, but we can’t deny that fx and art is a massive factor in the legendary status. Even if the Alien isn’t shown extensively, the scenery/structures are also important.

Sure, there was importance in casting and the script. When spfx really started to get fancy--after the Exorcist--they still had a lot of the traditional nuts and bolts theatrical elements. The cast was important, the dialogue was important (not so much in the case of Star Wars--it is clunky but they did still care about casting and traditional movie elements that an audience would look for).

But the technical side of things had become so important.

jawssharkprep.jpg