Star Trek - Discovery - 3.02: Far From Home

I'm thinking that the "parasitic ice" could also be explained by more failed future tech. When a society collapses there aren't the engineers to continue to run things safely. So, the "safe" nuclear power plant becomes unstable and overheats; the "super-conducting" rocks held in the sky and used as habitats, start to crash into each other, and break up into pieces, and some kind of man-made Ice-9 type of substance, that may have had an industrial use, grows out of control. Scientists have just announced the discovery of a bacteria which can "eat" and breakdown plastics but as anyone who has read Neal Stephenson's Zodiac will know releasing such things into the wild don't always go to plan.

What's Michael been up to this last year?
Well, she's found a hair stylist!

What was the obsession with hair? The pirates/ outlaws were going to cut Tilly's and sell it. I've seen the future and the future is bald, apparently!

One part that I didn't understand was Kaylar Detmer getting the head injury but being told she was "good to go" even though she clearly had problems functioning. Was this some kind of PTSD? Or is her bionic implant being affected by whatever caused the "Burn" and seems to still make Dilithium and any tech break down. If it is the latter, are we meant to believe that in the couple of hundred years that have passed, they still don't understand what happened during the "Burn". The single, most devastating thing to have happened to any of the species within the Federation and no one has properly investigated the cause to prevent its re-occurrence. And yet they do have hit-tech tools such as the programmable matter.

I found a website with a few more things that I forgot or missed or hadn't realised --

Georgiou's interest in Linus’ visual spectrum of 74,000 nanometers, for no apparent reason, means that it will almost certainly become important later.

Discovery went into the future with 88 crew, so about 1/3 stayed behind. 16 of the 88 were wounded during the battle and trip.

Saru shot his quills into Zareh, however they don’t appear to have a lethal poison as Zareh survived being hit with them, but maybe they immobilise as he spent time sitting on the ground and didn't seem on top form when Georgiou arrived.

Line of the week: Tilly to Georgiou: “Um, you have some Leland on your shoes.”

is Earth still there? Did it Burn? Is it still the capital of The Federation?

Sure it is. I doubt it was burned by the Burn incident unless it was coated in dilithium, but over 800 years, why would they have moved it as Capital? Sure, it's on the edge of the border and Milkyway, but is there a better place?

Georgiou's interest in Linus’ visual spectrum of 74,000 nanometers, for no apparent reason, means that it will almost certainly become important later.

I think it was cut out or then the line was meant as a small talk. There are a lot of plot holes, like how Georgiou found the pair and the bar?

Saru shot his quills into Zareh, however they don’t appear to have a lethal poison as Zareh survived being hit with them, but maybe they immobilise as he spent time sitting on the ground and didn't seem on top form when Georgiou arrived.

Yep, he's no longer a complete pacifist, which is interesting because it always him to be better suited for the captain role. I hope as a person he enjoyed a bit of action, but has he lost all his senses, because he couldn't sense the danger coming into the drinking establishment?

Here's one for you, what the miners are going to do with the bodies?

Back