What Fantasy or Science Fiction Worlds Would you like To step into And be a Character in?

I would love to be a tourist to Chasm City on Yellowstone in Alistair Reynolds Revelation Space. There is just something appealing about watching the decadence there.

The nations states of Aquilonia, Nemedia, and Stygia , Aghrapur Kush even individually have very powerful larger armies than any the the 7 Kingdoms could field .
Not to mention that, at least according to HBO, everyone inhabiting the GoT universe is a blithering idiot when it comes to tactics (among other matters).

Post, i think. There is something ever so macabre about the plague. (I often wonder if the plague was an Inhibitor weapon just left to be picked up by species travelling between stars.)

My pet choice would be to live on Roshar (Stormlight Archive): beautiful landscape, lots of cool places to travel to, and a decent level of technology. Plus, there's a chance that I could bond a spren and start doing cool magic stuff. The only big worry is being outside during a highstorm (which becomes less of a problem once you can do cool magic stuff).

I'd love to visit both the Hegemony core worlds and the Ouster tree-sphere in the "Hyperion Quartet", though it might be tricky to use the same passport for both. So many extraordinary planets and other settlements in that sequence.

Parts of the Discworld: places like Ephebe, Genua, Lancre and the Octarine Grass Country are beautiful, interesting and not too lethal. Ankh-Morpork itself would be a bit overwhelming for a long stay, but the other cities of the Sto Plain might be a good place to live. I'd probably dream of travelling through Uberwald but never dare.

The Exodus Fleet from "Record of a Spaceborn Few." Views to die for and a chance to decompress from modern fundamentalist capitalism.

The galaxy of Iain M Banks' "The Algebraist." It's not exactly a haven of peace and good governance. But it'd be worth it to live alongside so many genuinely alien, non-humanoid species.

My pet choice would be to live on Roshar (Stormlight Archive): beautiful landscape, lots of cool places to travel to, and a decent level of technology. Plus, there's a chance that I could bond a spren and start doing cool magic stuff. The only big worry is being outside during a highstorm (which becomes less of a problem once you can do cool magic stuff).

I'm in two minds about living on Roshar. It has a lot of downsides: the highstorms, the ubiquitous slavery, Alethi war crimes and the risk of turning up during a Desolation. But it would be wonderful just to wander around making observations in some quiet backwater (maybe in the Azish sphere of influence). I find the natural life of Roshar astonishing: the visible minor spirits, the semi-mobile plants, and several categories of animals completely unknown on Earth. I'd probably end up as a wierd nerdy Ardent who goes around collecting cremlings.

In SciFi, it would be Star Trek: The Next Generation.
And in fantasy... Probably something from the D&D universe, but I can't decide what exactly. I have one favourite world, but there are so many, those with the right atmosphere and backstory, ones that offer wonderful exploration opportunities, and those that seem great for a Halloween break ;)

Id want venture back to the 1930's as an amateur but very capable archeologist /adventurer in the world of Indiana Jones and be a side kick on one of his crazy expeditions. :D:cool:

Star Trek Strange New Worlds . Id like to not be in the musical episode.:D

James Gurney's Dinotopia would be a great place to visit, if I could get formal permission.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation galaxy would be pretty awesome -- before or after the fall of the Empire. Especially if I had a ship to travel around in. Since everyone is choosing their characters, (Jedis and whatnot) I'll be the heir to a vastly wealthy business empire. The heir that gets to travel the galaxy in a private spaceship spending their trust without a care in Space.

Asimov's world of the Robot stories would be interesting as well...

Last edited:

Back