What Fantasy or Science Fiction Worlds Would you like To step into And be a Character in?

I know I'm not the first person (or anime) to ask this question, but it really is a good question: A lot of these answers indicate that the respondents would choose a character-life of extreme hardship, pain, violence, and probably an early death, which makes me curious about the rules of this isekai. Do we get to choose to be a "main" character, and therefore protected from untimely death or mental breakdown by plot armor? Or, if we are not plot-protected mains, then do we, in addition to being transported into a different setting, also become different people who are capable of enduring what the extras in these worlds endure? (And if the latter, if everything that fundamentally makes me me is changed, to what extent is it I being transported into that story?) Without one or the other--either plot armor or a fundamental change of character which begs questions of identity--I have to wonder how many of us would survive two minutes in our favorite such stories, or would last two minutes in our chosen roles in those books or movies before giving up and crying to be sent back home. The consumers of science fiction and fantasy whom I have known and encountered in my life, whatever merits they may have, are not, uh, gritty. (I go to cons. You go to cons. We all know these people.) But maybe this forum's patronage is the exception to the rule. If that's the case, and everyone here is or could be hard enough to live through "adventure" of that sort willingly, that's pretty great.

Last edited:
I know I'm not the first person (or anime) to ask this question, but it really is a good question: A lot of these answers indicate that the respondents would choose a character-life of extreme hardship, pain, violence, and probably an early death, which makes me curious about the rules of this isekai. Do we get to choose to be a "main" character, and therefore protected from untimely death or mental breakdown by plot armor? Or, if we are not plot-protected mains, then do we, in addition to being transported into a different setting, also become different people who are capable of enduring what the extras in these worlds endure? (And if the latter, if everything that fundamentally makes me me is changed, to what extent is it I being transported into that story?) Without one or the other--either plot armor or a fundamental change of character which begs questions of identity--I have to wonder how many of us would survive two minutes in our favorite such stories, or would last two minutes in our chosen roles in those books or movies before giving up and crying to be sent back home. The consumers of science fiction and fantasy whom I have known and encountered in my life, whatever merits they may have, are not, uh, gritty. But maybe this forum's patronage is the exception to the rule. If that's the case, and everyone here is or could be hard enough to live through "adventure" of that sort willingly, that's pretty great.

It's a very good question and one I didn't consider at all. :unsure: :(

I doubt I would last a day in the Babylon 5 Universe and in Middle Earth , the Hyborian age of Conan , or the world of Kane the Mystic Swordsman I wouldn't last 5 minutes.

On review, I think I should add something. I stand by my question, and my observation about SFF fans as a rule, but: as my sister would say, we as a species would be better called Human Becomings or Human Doings than Human Beings. Human Being is a cop-out. No one just is who he is, nor must be who he is, nor should he be who he is. One is always changing, and one has agency in that change, so one should always choose to become closer to an ideal. If anyone reads this and wonders: yes, you can be the kind of adventurer we're talking about, even in real life. You just have to be willing to pay the price. (Usually starting with a lot of push-ups. And running.)

On review, I think I should add something. I stand by my question, and my observation about SFF fans as a rule, but: as my sister would say, we as a species would be better called Human Becomings or Human Doings than Human Beings. Human Being is a cop-out. No one just is who he is, nor must be who he is, nor should he be who he is. One is always changing, and one has agency in that change, so one should always choose to become closer to an ideal. If anyone reads this and wonders: yes, you can be the kind of adventurer we're talking about, even in real life. You just have to be willing to pay the price. (Usually starting with a lot of push-ups. And running.)

Well said :cool:

The trouble with bringing reality into the picture is, that it does tend to diminish the appeal of the fantasy as one imagines it.:)

Last edited:
Yeah. And, hands down, I'd be a Jedi. All the more so now that it's popular among the "cool" nerds to be cynical about "space wizards."

Yeah. And, hands down, I'd be a Jedi. All the more so now that it's popular among the "cool" nerds to be cynical about "space wizards."
Depends on the time period. You wouldn't want to be a Jedi just as they're all being hunted down and murdered :)

I'd maybe choose to be a decadent pleb in The Culture. I'll let AI run the universe while I sit back and read.

Since I've read the book and know how it ends... Dros Delnoch in David Gemmel's Legend.
As long as I got to fight at the sixth and final wall Geddon [Death].

Almost none! The Culture or Star Trek's Federation look at least tolerable. They're stable democracies that aren't usually in danger of complete destruction, and in SF worlds that's rare enough. I'd quite like to visit Jurassic Park, on one of the rare days when the dinosaurs don't run amok.

Almost none! The Culture or Star Trek's Federation look at least tolerable. They're stable democracies that aren't usually in danger of complete destruction, and in SF worlds that's rare enough.
Fairly sure recent Trek history is war with basically everyone. Plus you have the Borg always breathing down your neck. Maybe if you were a Q though :)

Depends on the time period. You wouldn't want to be a Jedi just as they're all being hunted down and murdered :)
Isn't that when it would be the life most worth living? Yeah, my original point was that most people who fantasize about life in a science fiction world wouldn't be the kind of people who could hack it. Most, not all. And my follow-up was that, even if one isn't born so, one can still become so. Regardless of how one is naturally, one should seek out a harder life and become a stronger person. A true jedi's life in any era would be fraught with mortal danger to his body and soul, and therefore worth living, because it would force him to grow and strengthen or die trying. However, having the whole jedi order and a well-ordered republic for support somewhat mitigates the challenge and therefore the value. A jedi's life in the era of the empire ascendant would most worthy of all. I'm not saying I'd enjoy the life, per se, or that it would be a long life, but think about how pure it would be. Just you and whatever plucky band of idealists you could cobble together, staying one step ahead of the death squads, pitting your mind, your cleverness against the might of the machine, doing good where you can and doing what you can to undermine the empire and keep the dream of liberty alive... It would be like being in the resistance on the Soviet frontier, only with super powers and a light saber.

Isn't that when it would be the life most worth living? Yeah, my original point was that most people who fantasize about life in a science fiction world wouldn't be the kind of people who could hack it. Most, not all. And my follow-up was that, even if one isn't born so, one can still become so. Regardless of how one is naturally, one should seek out a harder life and become a stronger person. A true jedi's life in any era would be fraught with mortal danger to his body and soul, and therefore worth living, because it would force him to grow and strengthen or die trying. However, having the whole jedi order and a well-ordered republic for support somewhat mitigates the challenge and therefore the value. A jedi's life in the era of the empire ascendant would most worthy of all. I'm not saying I'd enjoy the life, per se, or that it would be a long life, but think about how pure it would be. Just you and whatever plucky band of idealists you could cobble together, staying one step ahead of the death squads, pitting your mind, your cleverness against the might of the machine, doing good where you can and doing what you can to undermine the empire and keep the dream of liberty alive... It would be like being in the resistance on the Soviet frontier, only with super powers and a light saber.

Realistically, If I were to find myself in the Hyborian age of Conan the Barbarian I wouldn't last 5 minutes in that place. :D

I don't think any of us here could hack living the world of Game of Thrones :cool: Actually, with all the intrigue and politics , That place is far worse the Hyborian age of Conan . :unsure::eek:

What makes the world of GOT worse than the Hyborian age is the level of organised oppression of the common people by the 'nobility'. They have enough followers to overwhelm any resistance they might encounter. In the Hyborian age they hadn't reached quite this level of oppressive corruption and a person with a strong will and sword arm could make their way in the world without any regard to local policies.

I've always been partial to Star Trek. The Federation presents a world with no poverty or mental illness. On Earth, basic social and medical problems of today have been solved. It would be a relief to live in a world where we don't have to struggle to survive, and even have the option of travelling the stars and meeting all sorts of alien life.

What makes the world of GOT worse than the Hyborian age is the level of organised oppression of the common people by the 'nobility'. They have enough followers to overwhelm any resistance they might encounter. In the Hyborian age they hadn't reached quite this level of oppressive corruption and a person with a strong will and sword arm could make their way in the world without any regard to local policies.

True:unsure::)

Hm, Im trying to imagine what world with both the Hyborian age and the nations of GOT existing side by what that would be like. I wonder how the Hyboran Kingdoms would fare.

I do like mashups and crossovers. ;)

They Hyborian kingdoms would probably win out in the end simply because of the more powerful magics and monsters living there.

The nations states of Aquilonia, Nemedia, and Stygia , Aghrapur Kush even individually have very powerful larger armies than any the the 7 Kingdoms could field .

Back