Book Search Resources

M. Robert Gibson

is
Supporter
I'm surprised this hasn't been done before (unless it has and I can't find it) but it seems like a sensible idea to have a list of useful book searching resources.

I'm going to kick off with the advanced search menu at the The Internet Speculative Fiction Database

and a couple of the more useful advanced searches:
Titles

and Notes

Mods - perhaps this could be pinned?

The advanced search at WorldCat.org, which, for some reason, is labelled in German, even though English is selected

The Science Fiction and Fantasy searches at OpenLibrary.org

Here's the advanced search over at Amazon.com. One of the options in the subject box is Science Fiction and Fantasy

and the advanced search at AbeBooks

Might as well add the advanced search at Biblio

Last edited:
The Locus website used to be good for books, but especially for short stories in magazines. They seem to have updated it a little, but this page has an archive by year at the side (only back to 2002 and some via the wayback machine).

Last edited:
On doing a search for something else, I came across this site which allows a text search of books and articles

I’ve always loved science Fiction book cover art and often wondered if there was some kind of resource that catalogues them.

I particularly like book art that encompasses a series of books and my favourite of these was the nineties Dune book covers, which when laid end to end was a single piece of art work.

I also find books with multiple cover art interesting too.

On doing a search for something else, I came across this site which allows a text search of books and articles

I'd never known about The Unz review and might have lived an entire life not knowing, if you hadn't used it to solve two questions on too-obscure stories, here on this board.

I had never heard of it until you used it in answers to my question about the Bald Headed Mirage, and someone's question about the Short Ones.

And now, it dug up another long lost story! A decades-lost story I thought I'd never, ever, not ever find again.
It was helped by fortune, because the only other phrase I remembered and tried just produced a lot of irrelevant "stuff". About politics. A reference to a bush produced policies by Bush, etc.
The Unz dot org site makes it easier to do a search.

If anyone ever asks about these stories, I'm loaded and ready to fire a volley of facts.

Almost no one does. Boards get the repeats of What was that little accelerated race of experimental people, and Who was the family that was afraid of being caught in the rain? and Where did it stop raining only one day in seven years? and What star went nova to shine on earth? and What was the story of many computers being asked to reverse entropy until one said let there be light?

But some diggers dug up a bald headed mirage and the Short Ones after my life of whacked-out memories with no answers to let them rest.

What a good resource. Limited, but sometimes when you can't remember enough of a story to ask an intelligent, detailed question (not that every book search question meets that criterion), Unz can reunite you with stories that have played hob with your memory for your entire adult life.

I value this site for its files of an excellent defunct London-based magazine, Encounter, to which innumerable lights, from Arthur Koestler to Vaclav Havel to W. H. Auden, contributed. The conversation of Kingsley Amis, Brian Aldiss, and C. S. Lewis about science fiction was reprinted there from an obscure magazine. If some jinni were to offer me the complete file of some 20th-century magazine in English -- Encounter would be the first thing to come to my mind, I suppose. Said jinni not having materialized, I will visit the Unz site despite my disagreement with some content there.

For stories that feature mathematical ideas, you can frequently find mention of them at Alex Kasman's MathFiction site.

For the most notable examples of a given theme, you can often find something in the SF Encyclopedia.

For examples of particular invention ideas, you can sometimes find something at the Technovelgy site.

Although it involves sifting through a lot of noise, you will occasionally run across examples of similar stories organized by tropes at tvtropes.org.

If some jinni were to offer me the complete file of some 20th-century magazine in English -- Encounter would be the first thing to come to my mind, I suppose. Said jinni not having materialized, I will visit the Unz site despite my disagreement with some content there.
Whoops! Jinn is the singular, jinni the plural. Sorry!

d5ceb61f5990fc77da5873bbf3aab6cc.jpg

Whoops! Jinn is the singular, jinni the plural. Sorry!
Nope, you were right with the original ie jinni is the singular (which was anglicised as jinnee at one point, but is more usually seen as genie) and jinn is the plural. (As it happens I'm writing about one for the Kraxon serial and in the end I went with using "djinn" as both singular and plural, since I worried it might be too confusing to use "djinni" which isn't familiar to everyone, though I now wish -- far too late! -- that I hadn't compromised on that.)