Do you consider FRANKENSTEIN by Mary Shelley to be SF?

Dave Vicks

I know the SF Author Brian Aldiss does. I wonder if Shelley read Voltaire's
SF story Micromegas?

Interesting about Micromegas!
Sounds like Gulliver's Travels was a possible inspiration.

Absolutely No. It is Gothic Horror.

It was published in 1823 which starting point of the Gothic Fiction. It's listed as a Gothic horror novel but , Its' also considered science fiction.

Well I don't care because it bloody well isn't sci-fi no matter how much you lot stick your fingers in your ears and shout in a fit of suspect revisionist thinking. :)
IMO It is rooted in golem myth, not projected science.

(My last word because this will just get circular :rolleyes:)

I doubt this debate could get as heated as the one I witnessed about whether Shelley intended the creature to be created from stitching together corpse parts or grown from scratch!

I doubt this debate could get as heated as the one I witnessed about whether Shelley intended the creature to be created from stitching together corpse parts or grown from scratch!

Hm, Im not sure , id want to get into that debate. :unsure:

It's clearly SF as we see it now. However it was written before there was anything else that could be said to be SF, so yes, a bit rough around the edges and it takes its influences from other things around it. As the first attempts usually are when there isn't a genre to measure up against.

Anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand what SF is.

It's clearly SF as we see it now. However it was written before there was anything else that could be said to be SF, so yes, a bit rough around the edges and it takes its influences from other things around it. As the first attempts usually are when there isn't a genre to measure up against.

Anyone saying otherwise doesn't understand what SF is.

What about Johannes Kepler's 1608 science fiction novel Somnium ?

It's perhaps the earliest form of biopunk sf.
"I am by birth a Genevese; and my family is one of the most distinguished of that republic. My ancestors had been for many years counsellors and syndics; and my father had filled several public situations with honour and reputation."
Hardly "punk"!

The Iliad has robots.

There's a John W Campbell Jr interview where he talks at length about fantasy and science fiction definitions:

Back