Time for another DOC SAVAGE film?

Doc Savage full name Clark Savage JR was a pulp character popular from the early 1930's to roughly the late 1940's . He was precursor to superman and batman the Doc Savage stores were written by several different author primarily Lester Dent under the Pen name of Kenneth Robeson . The last of pul novel came out in 1949 and stopped when Dent died. Doc was a master of many skills and disciplines from the fighting to science and aiding him were his five companions each one having in a given set of skills, Ham, Monk , Renny , Long Tom, Johnny and on occasion Doc Cousin Pat Savage.

All the Doc Savage books came back in print with the advent George Pal's 1975 film Doc Savage which flopped at the Box office. Ironically they had the perfect actor in Ron Ely as Doc

Jose Philip Farmer did a character Doc Caliban which a Doc Savage like character and he did wonderful Doc Savage prequel novel Escape From Loki in which a young 16 year old Clark Savage Jr meets the men who would become his five companions. :cool:

There have numerous attempt to revive it with everyone from for Arnold to the Rock in the lead role. So far, nothing has materialized.

Last edited:
I love the originals novels , they fun and enjoyable reads. :cool: There was also recent Book series revival beck in the 1990's with Will Murray taking up the Lester dent /Kenneth Roberson. These books were quite good . :cool: There have also been over the years, Doc Savage comics which have come and gone . There exists a one shot crossover where he teams up with Batman and, there is series where Doc Savage and his team come face to face with the Shadow and his team. :cool:

I for one would love to see a new film or two perhaps even series, that could be fun. I would like it to be a period piece and not have updated to the present era.

Last edited:
Wasn’t there a TV series as well? I vaguely remember watching something during the six weeks holiday as a kid. Used to be on with Tarzan.

Wasn’t there a TV series as well? I vaguely remember watching something during the six weeks holiday as a kid. Used to be on with Tarzan.

Tarzan with Ron Ely which ran from 1966 to 68.

Won't happen in Hollywood or through any traditional film gate. Would have to be done independently.

The 1975 film was sabotaged. No way George Pal would have made such a badly comical film-none of his others had a non-serious tone, and the first part of the film was serious. Warner Bros. had gone through an executive shake-up and when they saw the film he was making they demanded changes--the bad comedy, budget cuts.

Won't happen in Hollywood or through any traditional film gate. Would have to be done independently.

The 1975 film was sabotaged. No way George Pal would have made such a badly comical film-none of his others had a non-serious tone, and the first part of the film was serious. Warner Bros. had gone through an executive shake-up and when they saw the film he was making they demanded changes--the bad comedy, budget cuts.

If they had let let George Pal do the film his way , it would have been a hit and the beginning of a successful film franchise with several sequels. id like to have been the owner of that studio. I would have fired the idiots before they had the chance to see up the film. I would given George Pal the money and support he needed.

This is the reason I have so much disdain for movie executives. If I owned the studio. I would limit their input into movie stories and scripts.

I wish the people who filmed DARK CITY,or THE SHADOW would do a Doc Savage film.

I think they would do a good Job.

Who would I want to see to do a Doc Savage film? John McTiernan who did Predator or Joe Johnson who did Rocketeer.:)

The Will Murray books are really good.

Escape from Loki by Jose Phillip Farmer is a really good book also.

There are couple novels where Doc Savage and the Shadow Team up. I haven't read them but know of them.:)

If they had let let George Pal do the film his way , it would have been a hit and the beginning of a successful film franchise with several sequels. id like to have been the owner of that studio. I would have fired the idiots before they had the chance to see up the film. I would given George Pal the money and support he needed.

This is the reason I have so much disdain for movie executives. If I owned the studio. I would limit their input into movie stories and scripts.

BAYLOR INTERNATIONAL PICTURES!

We could definitely use a Doc film franchise or tv series.:)

Back