IAAS - Independent Australian Author Symposium (Brisbane, QLD) Nov 2020

BT Jones

Supporter
Hi all. This just came across my radar. AU$ 155 for entry, and all-day event with speakers and meet and greet. Is this kind of thing worth it? Does anyone have any experience of doing an Aussie one of these? Just wondering if its worth my time and money? Self publishing is something I may have to resort to if I can't find myself an international agent, so I should probably do it, right?

Self-promotion is an area where I will definitely fall down, though. I'm the world's worst at blowing my own trumpet. That said, I might find some useful contacts.

If I go, I should presumably take a sample of my work, and maybe the placeholder cover art that I have knocked up.

Does anyone have any tips / suggestions from their experiences of this kind of thing?

Looks like you've covered all bases. I'm not into this sort of gathering but if it might be of benefit to you then go for it. Good luck.

Hmm, I should preface my comments by declaring myself a confirmed cynic.

The event is being presented by Shawline Publishing and all of the authors attending/guest speaking appear to be authors with Shawline Publishing. Shawline Publishing appears to be a 'pay to publish' type setup. I would guess you would be paying $155 for Shawline to promote themselves to you. I would guess that every contact you made would come with a price tag, and I would guess you could make those contacts--if you even wanted to--independently and save yourself $155.

But this is just my opinion.

Hmm, I should preface my comments by declaring myself a confirmed cynic.

The event is being presented by Shawline Publishing and all of the authors attending/guest speaking appear to be authors with Shawline Publishing. Shawline Publishing appears to be a 'pay to publish' type setup. I would guess you would be paying $155 for Shawline to promote themselves to you. I would guess that every contact you made would come with a price tag, and I would guess you could make those contacts--if you even wanted to--independently and save yourself $155.

But this is just my opinion.

Yup... I'm not experienced like others, yet unlike other industries that offer job/talent fairs to solicit individuals they haven't met and to consider their work, this industry seems like one where everyone there is pitching to everyone else...not buying. IOW, whether its the above or even conventions, everyone there with a booth, table, or performing talks are selling what they have to offer. Anyone else attending is who they're trying to sell to.

Keep in mind, that's all just a guess on my part, but I suspect a fairly good one.

Lastly, whenever you have to 'pay to sell,' be suspect. Even such venues are doing it to make a profit, not because they're benevolent.

K2

Yup... I'm not experienced like others, yet unlike other industries that offer job/talent fairs to solicit individuals they haven't met and to consider their work, this industry seems like one where everyone there is pitching to everyone else...not buying. IOW, whether its the above or even conventions, everyone there with a booth, table, or performing talks are selling what they have to offer. Anyone else attending is who they're trying to sell to.

Keep in mind, that's all just a guess on my part, but I suspect a fairly good one.

Lastly, whenever you have to 'pay to sell,' be suspect. Even such venues are doing it to make a profit, not because they're benevolent.

K2
Thanks @wagtail & @-K2-. I'm on the fence on this one. Part of me feels compelled to go just to experience the industry and get myself out there. I can't hide behind a keyboard for the rest of my life if I want to get out there. But perhaps more research on who is actually attending might be a good thing. I wouldn't want my first experience of this kind of thing to be a soul-crushingly disillusioning one.

And given my work is never going to have mainstream appeal, this probably isn't the right arena to be mingling in anyway.

Back