The Walking Dead: World Beyond

I continue to be amazed that Huck is still alive.
Warrant Officer Stokes sees threats to the CRM everywhere, yet she continues to accept Huck's explanations of her actions, like killing the village guy threatening to rat her out. She doesn't sound convincing to me.

Looks like things are rolling quickly toward the end of the series next week.
The big question remains: Will they make a connection with Rick Grimes?

I have not read the article, but is it true?
It definitely looked like the French doctor was quickly turned into a faster, stronger walker -- more of a World War Z type. I suppose they were giving is a preview of things to come.
The big disappointment of the series finale was NO RICK GRIMES! A brief appearance at the end would have held far more intrigue for fans than hints of a super walker.

Reactions: ctg

After reading this I start to get it and I hope they have got Kirkman's approval for this, because it's a big thing. In other words we did it, the whole apocalypse had nothing to do with the nature. It's just what the black ops released in their hopes for immortality (if I read this right) followed somewhat natural causality until it was unnatural and therefore the Dead were born.

Maybe the big new plans for TWD Universe have something to do with the apparent aimlessness of FTWD? Resource priorities?

I've started watching this. Like others, I wanted more information on the Civic Republic and CRM than I was ever getting from TWD and FTWD. Maybe that is the wrong reason. However, I'm interested in the character development, and like that they actually have a goal rather than aimless wandering. I sort of get the Stranger Things vibe mentioned, but they are older.

I haven't really seen much yet (S1:03) and I haven't read the spoilers here, but you say that Huck makes a good leader. She certainly has a long way to go in the next 17 episodes because she seems moody, brusque and without any empathy so far. I know she has back-story to that, but don't they all? So, it will be interesting to watch that unfurl. The children seem to have grown up in a protective bubble, despite each having experienced some traumatic event in the past.

I also agree with you that these northern empties seem to be much slower than the southern walkers. Maybe it is the difference in climate?

If these children are eventually going to take on the might of the CRM then they'll need a lot of luck.

I didn't see that coming. Elton's mother killed Hope and Iris's mother, and Hope killed her. Hope will have to keep that a secret!

The "empties" are getting even slower. They are like the Bionic Man! I also get it now that the children are meant to have lead a sheltered life. That's the point of the story. And they all have backstories to explain their own peculiarities/characteristics. I'm not sure if that works in real life.

Omaha had an "evacuation plan". That was very organised, but I'd doubt that a pandemic happened overnight. They keep mentioning "The Day the Sky Fell" as if it took place in a single day. Elton couldn't have been in that box very long. But Rick Grimes was in hospital for a long time and a virus would take many weeks/months to spread across the USA if it was by physical contact. That's a big retcon of the origin story to me. And from the link that I didn't read, it looks like there is more to come.

In a weird sort of way I grew to like this.
Not great, TWD and FTWD are far better shows but I do think it has some relevance to the upcoming films
I've seen a lot of reviews saying how bad this was and the acting was atrocious.
The adults weren't well portrayed but we did see the kids grow. Iris grew up a lot and she has the potential to be a great leader.
I'd have liked to find out what happened to Rick.
The walker at the end, the films may take us to another level.

I do like this. I've not got to the end yet, but I already see Huck had an even bigger character arc than I could have ever imagined. From your spoilers, even more to come for her yet. I agree that the kids grow up too.

As regards Omaha and Monument, I assume that wherever the Civic Republic itself is located, rather than the RF (research facility) and military bases we have seen, then they have decided on a population level that they are able to feed and protect. They select the best scientists and military personnel they need from other colonies, and then all the rest are expendable. It is brutal, but it is the only explanation that makes any sense. if they don't find a cure for the outbreak then any other population that can't be fed and protected is just another bank of more humans waiting to be turned. There would be some logic surrounding what they do in that case. You saw in one season one episode that even Elizabeth Kublek does have a conscience and a problem with things she has done. Plenty others also have an general uneasiness, although most don't know the full extent.

"If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have done the CDC episode," The Walking Dead creator and series executive producer Robert Kirkman told The Hollywood Reporter in 2014. "It possibly gave away too much information and was such a big change very early on in the series."

"I feel like there might have been a better way to wrap up the first season," Kirkman said at the time. "It ended up being a fun episode. I love the character of Dr. Jenner and thought Noah did an amazing job. But there were things in that episode that I think seem very much not of The Walking Dead world."
Of particular issue was a line about the French, who Jenner says were the last ones to hold out as they thought they were "close to a solution." The revelatory episode explaining some of the how behind reanimation is original material not from Kirkman's comic book, where Rick's group eventually figures out they're all infected when someone turns without a walker's bite.

"I probably would have changed that stuff. I've been careful in the comic series to not say what's happening in other parts of the world. It's something that's going to be fun to explore in the spinoff series," Kirkman said at the time, referring to Fear the Walking Dead. "But the fact that France is mentioned in that episode and other things like that, I probably would have steered away from that stuff if I had to do it all over again."
Kirkman has spoken. It is not a blessing, but it is not a denial either.

It really ramped up in the last few episodes. I liked the series. I was expecting a third season with the journey to Portland, but there was little story left to tell. Huck should have shot Jadis. Also that French twist rather neatly solves the problems of the CDC episode. Clever!

Another thing. I think I know the location of the Civic Republic. That arrest scene of Elizabeth by Jadis was possibly in Central Park. I think the CR is in New York.

I would have liked a third series.
The journey to Portland, Silas's CRM story needs telling. There are a lot of loose ends I'd like to see tied up.

I agree. Very late and just caught up with the series.