Any Halloween reading suggestions?

Has someone been droppings about Ramsey? :)

He can be good but equally he has written some utter tosh to unfort.

Has someone been droppings about Ramsey? :)

He can be good but equally he has written some utter tosh to unfort.

My favorite novel by him is The Hungry Moon. A Slow build up with ever creeping dread with an epic conclusion. This is a great horror novel. :cool:

My favorite short story by Hm Down There. :cool:

Last edited:
Mysteries of the Worm by Robert Bloch
The Trail of Cthulhu by August Derleth

I didnt realise it as a series, read the Keep and liked the way he twisted the accepted views / presumptions.

It was made into film by Micheal Mann in 1983. Unfortunately , due in large part to studio meddling, the film we got was an absolute mess.

Last edited:
Some more things came to mind, especially since Dave doesn't seem allergic to short stories.

October Dreams ed. Richard Chizmar. Pleasant collection of stories -- ghost, horror, etc. -- interspersed with reminiscences of Halloween past by a lot of then current horror writers.
Agents of Dreamland by Caitlin R. Kiernan. Noir-ish story of a secret government organizations contending with outbreaks of Lovecraftian events/critters. I'd put it on a par with Charles Stross' "A Colder War" for anyone who's read that novella. This is also novella length.
Haunted Castles by Ray Russell. 1960's version of Gothic with a side of additional Gothic. "Sardonicus", "Sagitarius" and "Sanguinarius" (spellings may be off) are three really good novellas. The first was filmed in the early '60s.

Randy M.

Some more things came to mind, especially since Dave doesn't seem allergic to short stories.

October Dreams ed. Richard Chizmar. Pleasant collection of stories -- ghost, horror, etc. -- interspersed with reminiscences of Halloween past by a lot of then current horror writers.
Agents of Dreamland by Caitlin R. Kiernan. Noir-ish story of a secret government organizations contending with outbreaks of Lovecraftian events/critters. I'd put it on a par with Charles Stross' "A Colder War" for anyone who's read that novella. This is also novella length.
Haunted Castles by Ray Russell. 1960's version of Gothic with a side of additional Gothic. "Sardonicus", "Sagitarius" and "Sanguinarius" (spellings may be off) are three really good novellas. The first was filmed in the early '60s.

Randy M.

That last book I have , great stuff . Sardonius was adapted for film by William Castle as Mr Sardonicus in 1961.

What's Ancient Images like?

Ancient Images . The central mystery of the story revolves around a supposedly never made Boris Karloff , Bella Lugosi film. It's not a conventional horror novel . It's a very strange and atmospheric book with an encroaching dread which is tied to this movie.

Its an either or book. In other words, either one likes the book or doesn't like it. There's no middle ground on this one.

Last edited:
I'd also say that in spite of the movie connection, it was a precursor of what's now being called "folk horror."

Randy M.

I'd also say that in spite of the movie connection, it was a precursor of what's now being called "folk horror."

Randy M.

I liked it but, it's rather an off beat book that might put off some readers.

That is a fine choice Baylor, I remember reading them years ago and really enjoying them.

That was also the first book is ever read by Robert Bloch. I enjoyed them immensely. I long since gave away my original paperback copy, I wished id kept but not have Chaosium edition f the book. :)

Trail of Cthulhu was among the first stories I had ever by Derleth. Alot lovercract fans don't like Derleth Mythos stories . I though them quite good and I also like the book Lurker at the Threshold which starts out a Lovecraft story fragment. He's a hell of good writer. :cool:

There another lovecratian book by Bloch that ive heard of but never seen an actual copy of Strange Eons . The paperback edition in good condition seems to command big money online.

That was also the first book is ever read by Robert Bloch. I enjoyed them immensely. I long since gave away my original paperback copy, I wished id kept but not have Chaosium edition f the book. :)

Trail of Cthulhu was among the first stories I had ever by Derleth. Alot lovercract fans don't like Derleth Mythos stories . I though them quite good and I also like the book Lurker at the Threshold which starts out a Lovecraft story fragment. He's a hell of good writer. :cool:

There another lovecratian book by Bloch that ive heard of but never seen an actual copy of Strange Eons . The paperback edition in good condition seems to command big money online.
When I moved I slimmed down my library to nothing really and really regret it now, wisdom and hindsight! :(

I am in the process of rebuilding it slowly with the intent of when the kids / if the kids ever leave I will have one of their rooms and have a office / library.