The House of Lovecraft

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
Now that I have written the title I appreciate on some level it may well be considered wrong?

But no matter, Ive written it now!

What I propose is simply we do a thread of a Lovecraft story and I am gonna start right now, each and anyone can join in and continue the story until we have a satisfactory ending that probably involves everyone dying or being driven mad as is tradition with his work.

-0-

It began on a dark rain filled evening at the start of October, I had returned late from my job at the University.

My housekeeper informed me there was a package for me, delivered by a very shifty foreigner with large luminiscent eyes. He croaked through thick fish like lips "Deliver this to Professor Thornskill, its important he understands" and then this odd individual had departed with an odd shuffling hop by way of his walking.

I took the package to my study and lay it upon the desk, .....

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
Okay no takers, will try again and give it a few gos before we give up on it...

--

Pouring myself a sparkling mineral water, as I had vowed many years ago that alcohol would no longer pass my lips. I took a sip and sat down at my desk.

I examined the parcel, it was about book sized, sealed in brown paper with string around it keeping it together, their was various older stamps and address`s on the paper but they had been covered over with white tape. From the drawer I took out scissors and cutting the string, carefully unwrapped the package. Within was a second smaller package of white cloth and a letter atop in fine quality paper with my name beautifully written across it in red ink.

I opened the letter first and carefully read the words within

Capricorn42

Hi @JJewel , this sounds like fun.
--------------------------------

There were just two sentences:

I know you will remember the night of the shipwreck, and I know that you cannot forgive. Yet, I hope this package may, at least, shine a light upon the darkest of shadows and help you to understand.

There was no signature.
With a chill in my heart I glanced at the mantle and at the photograph that stood there, and then I turned back to the package.
Beneath the wrapping was a wooden box, plain and sturdily fashioned, and with clumsy, reluctant fingers I prised off the lid.
I cannot say what I expected to find. I hoped to find nothing. The note had fractured my calm and ordered world and allowed old terrors to raise up their heads.
As it was, the box contained just one item, and for me the lights did fade as I picked it up.

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
It was still warm and pulsing, just as I remember it from that dark night in my state room, deep within the armoured bulkheads of the Prinz Eugen.

The hideous green glow beat steadily as I held it in my hand. I sensed the pace quicken, slowly at first, as if it recognised who held it once more.

Recognised that it had returned to its owner!

I looked once more at the photograph and cursed the day I was tricked into that unholy contract.

----------------------
Hey @Capricorn42 lets see what you can do with that, or anybody can even?

CTRandall

I have my very own plant pot!
But denial is hard habit to break. Even with that hideous thing lying in the palm of my hand, with the stench of sea and rot filling my nostrils, I could not bear to look at it. I shut my eyes, blocking out the pale light of the sphere. Memories battered at the gates of my mind, shades of the dead and damned, but I turned away from them and buried myself in the mantras and meditations that, for so many years, had kept my waking mind safe from all thought of the past.

Until one face, one piteous and horrid face, broke through. With a whisper that sounded of sea lapping at sand, it spoke.

'The sea gives back what once it took. The sea takes back what once it lost.'

And it all came rushing in. I must have screamed. I think that is why the housekeeper came in.

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
I awoke to find faces above me, concerned and weirdly distorted as if underwater.

Slowly my eyes returned to normal, and with my sight my other senses to were restored.

"Thank goodness Doctor, he is awakening!" spoke my housekeeper.

"Some sort of shock I suspect, he is a Professor at the University you say?" Silence from the stranger for a moment, "Overwork can have such an effect, plenty of soup and rest and no work related visitors"

His voice faded as I felt my right hand itch and burn, I held it up in from of me ignoring the others. It was tightly clenched around the sphere and the green unholy light was radiating from between my fingers and yet

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
It generated no warmth. if anything, the sphere was icy cold and seemed to be drawing all of heat out of me and, at a deeper level , it was feeding off of me.

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
No one else in the room seemed to find it odd that my fist was clenched and that it was radiating green cold light. Had I fallen back into the bottle after so many years?

I pretended everything was normal and smiled blandly at their words of soup and rest.

They appeared out of focus to me, as I said underwater, and as my eyes swam over them I noticed the face at the window, 2 stories up!

Capricorn42

"You must rest," said the doctor. I murmured thanks as he guided me to a chair. His face rippled as he surveyed me, before he turned to the housekeeper.
What of the window, I thought. I saw - I thought I saw - but now the window was blank, nothing there to be seen.
I shook my head. A deep and beguiling tranquillity was creeping upon me. With some effort I focussed on the doctor's words.
"He's ready," he was saying. "Time to begin, I think."

CTRandall

I have my very own plant pot!
Y'hah vulgtm sil'ha ne! Y'hah vulgtm sil'ha ne! Ph'nglui mglw'nafh.