DISCUSSION THREAD -- October 2020 75 -Word Writing Challenge

@nixie .... The Braunber's Unexpected Visitor .... Nixie destroys a favorite children's story turning it into a true woodland horror.

@scarpelius .... The hell is cold and restless for you .... A story the flips societal expectation on it's nose and still manages to keep the essence of the expectation.

@jd73 .... The Forest at Trollbridge .... Failure to listen to what you hear is the first step into deep trouble.

Argh sorry @paranoid marvin, I never read other entries before posting :oops:

No worries.:giggle: I can hardly claim to be the first person to write about 3 bears living in a wood! In fact when you think about it, a lot of scary/folk (is there a difference?) tales revolve around bad things happening in forests and woods.

@Ursa major .... Holcombe Fort-Farm .... There is no such thing as benign neglect; especially when it is directed at the heart of defense.

@Starbeast .... PREDATOR -- Massacre at Jellystone Park .... Being smarter than the average is not better than wielding two machetes.

@Perpetual Man .... Tales of Terror Woods .... The tricksters are revealed as the butchers they really are.

Thanks for the shortlisting TEIN!:giggle:

Hugh - your story was very sad and well told.
Karn's Return - really enjoyed this Alice tale, you captured the spirit of the books perfectly.
Starbeast - the Hannah Barbera cartoon that they weren't allowed to make. I just hope Boo-Boo got away okay! Brilliant, and gets my vote.

Thanks for the vote, TEiN. Considering the competition I wasn't expecting one.

These stories made my shortlist:

Salvation by @Droflet because this is what I believe a father does.

My Special Place by @wagtail because it rang of a true horror.

Everyday Horror by @Marvin because it left a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

A Grimm Fairytale by @paranoid marvin because of a horror of a twist on a sweet fairytale.

The Braunber's Unexpected Visitor by @nixie because of a horror of a twist on a sweet fairytale.

Predator at Jellystone Park by @Starbeast because of a great idea and because it's better than the average story.

------------

Runner-up by a fraction of a nose: Salvation by @Droflet

Vote Everyday Horror by @Marvin

@Victoria Silverwolf @Parson - Excellent reviewing as always, love to see how you two interpret the stories, especially the ones I didn’t really grasp.

So to this month. A novel genre, quite narrow, but spawned a goodly variety. Keeping an eye that the theme didn‘t get lost in the woods.
I liked these
@Droflet - Too late for both to survive, go Dad!
@wagtail - Too late for apologies, bye Jimmy!
@paranoid marvin - Too late to avoid breakfast, bon appetite!
@Hugh - Too late to save the tree, so sad.
@Elckerlyc - Too late for counselling, crikey!

Vote to @Elckerlyc horror on a few levels there.

Couple of others I liked but I felt missed the theme.
Without wishing to sound hypocritical, I know I played a bit fast and loose with the genre myself!

Well done all, great stuff as always!

Thanks for the mentions, Parson and Marvin. (No longer paranoid???)

Last edited:

Back