Discussion Thread -- OCTOBER 2020 -- 300 Word Writing Challenge (#39)

I tend to find when you sleep on it, it tends to sort itself. I always sleep on it after finishing a story and usually come up with a few minor changes.

And if I have no ideas yet again, sleep recharges my ideas bank.

I have the opposite problem, which is a constant stream of ideas. Whilst that may seem like a benefit it is a burden, choosing which one to go with.
The 300 was particularly bad this month because I had a great story lined up for the radio receiver pic which ultimateley lost. I can probably wrangle that one into a free standing story but often stories don't make sense without the chrons prompt.

I was hoping for the carved figures and voting for also, followed by the radio .. was thinking flash gordon early TV show type story for that. But eventually the Lake options was chosen.

Its all fun anyway, the competition isnt serious :)

I tend to find when you sleep on it, it tends to sort itself. I always sleep on it after finishing a story and usually come up with a few minor changes.
Along these lines, has anyone else had ideas late at night that seem fantastic, maybe jot a few lines down to help keep them in mind, then in the cold light of the next morning they now appear terrible! What was I thinking kind of terrible!

Yeh sometimes, kinda dreading the reaction to my story tbh, everyone else wrote about ships etc and I threw all that out the window and wrote something that after re-reading realised that it is really two storys depending on are you a fan of the doors? versus who the hell are the doors? :)

Hey, I was thinking of making horror themed poetry for this month's challenge, is that plausible for the fantasy, sci-fi genre that was said?
Speculative Fiction is also on the table, which I believe includes Horror. I will be corrected if wrong I‘m sure

Hey, I was thinking of making horror themed poetry for this month's challenge, is that plausible for the fantasy, sci-fi genre that was said?
For the 300 Worder the genre is always the same -- SF, Fantasy or other Speculative Fiction, as Marvin says, which would indeed include horror.

So I’m looking at the pic and no immediate idea pops up. Granted I’m not the most creative person, with boundless ideas.
The question is, do others who suffer this (I hope I’m not alone) force it and go hunting for an idea. Or is it best to leave it if nothing occurs?
To me the end result always seems better when an idea comes naturally. Thoughts?
I brute force it if my muse is on vacation. I’ll start with even the vaguest idea (but the best I can come up with) and start writing. Usually the process itself brings life to the idea. This month’s 300 worder was such an adventure. I originally wanted the discarded item to bestow some elevated status on its finder but couldn’t figure out how and for good or for Ill, the story you see so fell from the ether. So strap the helmet on and... heads first!

*groans* Ideas and titles come to me within seconds. The execution of them, however, is another thing. Worse still, with this one I have a boatload *snort* of research to do first just to get terms right :cautious:

K2

Thank goodness for Google!

From comments I have read, I’m not sure how often this happens to others.
Most people seem to say, ‘So my first draft is 500 words, how ever will I prune it down!’
Maybe because all the writing I ever do is over on the 75 I’m too tuned into brevity. My story has come to 250.
So, if this happens to others, do you pad it or leave it. Seems so wasteful after always wanting more in the 75.
Obviously, this doesn’t apply to @Danny McG and his Haiku!

My story has come to 250.
So, if this happens to others, do you pad it or leave it. .
Obviously, this doesn’t apply to @Danny McG and his Haiku!
If it is complete leave it. 300 is a max.
Once it is done and reads well it is very hard to pad a completed work while maintaining the 'balance and flow' of the piece.

I write to 300, and post that morning. That is the pleasure for me. and sometimes it works, other times the write appears a little odd, but I’m very keen on ‘early draft’ as a ‘genre,’ or as a hobby... ...

Wayne Mack: What most distinguishes this tale of terror is the contrast between innocence and evil. Perhaps one cannot exist without the other, mirror images seen in a glass, darkly.

Rafellin: In this imaginative science fiction war story we see the crimes of humanity through new eyes, as well as the possibility of overcoming them. The narrator comes to understand that duty is often just an excuse for wickedness.

Astro Pen: The combination of a futuristic setting and a supernatural theme leads to a unique work of fiction. The protagonist's dilemma is a classic case of choosing between the frying pan and the fire.

Ashleyne: This tongue-in-cheek adventure is a classic comedy of misunderstandings and unlikely encounters. The contrast between rapaciousness on one side and whimsical desires on the other leads to much amusement.

paranoid marvin: The way in which this story slowly builds from optimistic calm to sudden horror increases the impact of its final image. There is, perhaps, a touch of very grim humor in the conclusion.

Guttersnipe: The vividness of the opening section of this tale causes the reader to share the doomed protagonist's agony. The unexpected revelation near the end intensifies the sensation of being put through a nightmare.

BT Jones: Small details, one by one, build a growing sense of unease and tension in this suspenseful story. By the end, it manages to be both frightening and moving.

Matchu: What at first seems to be a simple slice-of-life proves to be an extraordinary encounter in this offbeat creation. The subtle nature of its speculative content causes the reader to read through it more than once.

Provincial: The rollicking good humor of this modern sea chantey brings a smile to the reader's face. By throwing in concepts from a multitude of genres, the author displays wide-ranging creativity.

Danny McG: By boiling down the essence of a single image to its most vital and meaningful components, this miniature work of art conveys more in a few words than one would imagine possible. This adept minimalism allows readers to expand their imaginations.

Bren G: The author creates an entire alien culture, as well as characters with whom one can empathize, in a short space. By viewing events from eyes other than our own, what we might see as mundane becomes mythic.

Cat's Cradle: This science fiction story manages to be both wide-ranging and introspective, contrasting the vastness of humanity's fate with the despair of a single individual. The protagonist's actions may seem deplorable, but would we do something different, if we were in the same situation?

Capricorn42: Different levels of reality combine to create a mood of surrealism in this intriguing SF story. Perhaps most of us can relate to the urge to turn one's back on responsibility and simply exists in the moment.

JJewel: The contrast between a tragedy of the past and timeless, archetypical figures causes reality to seem legendary and legends seem real. In this way, one artist pays tribute to another.

MikeAnderson: A miraculous event serves as a metaphor for a new way of thinking in this mystical yet realistic tale. Like any good parable, it provides both entertainment and learning.

Thank you for the fine review, Victoria! Your own story is brilliant - I love the atmosphere and strong sense of time and place. I thought the lines about switching to an American station, and the young woman dancing were wonderful. Terrific story, CC

Back