Susanna Clarke

I so wanted to like that book, the basic idea really appealed to me, but I just couldn’t finish it.

Browsing through @Jo Zebedee's Secret Bookshelf page on Facebook I see Susanna Clarke has a new book out Piranesi, looks to be an interesting read. What did surprise me is, 16 years since Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell was published.

Apparently the schedule of publishing after Strange and Norrell led to CFS which she still has and which slowed her writing a lot

I think Strange and Norrell took a lot time to write as well. At least she didn't try to do a trilogy.

I loved that book too, unlike marmite which I hate :)

Not sure I'll like this new one with the theme but I'll get round to it at some point.

I started Piranesi last night, but didn't get far in because of tiredness. It's certainly intriguing, and reminds me a bit of playing Myst, but so far, if someone stole my copy I'm not sure I'd buy another.

I started Piranesi last night, but didn't get far in because of tiredness. It's certainly intriguing, and reminds me a bit of playing Myst, but so far, if someone stole my copy I'm not sure I'd buy another.
The book sounds intriguing. The question for me is whether it is better than Jonathan Strange. That was a curates egg: lots of promise and clearly a writer of ability, but ultimately I found it very frustrating despite its undoubted merits.

The book sounds intriguing. The question for me is whether it is better than Jonathan Strange. That was a curates egg: lots of promise and clearly a writer of ability, but ultimately I found it very frustrating despite its undoubted merits.
For me it was one of those books that though it was readable one day I put it down and just never got around to carry on reading it.

Repeating what I put in the October Reading thread:

A diverting enough read, but slight. It's 250-odd pages of largish print, and not exactly dense with ideas or plot: the ideas it does contain could easily have been developed further. It feels like a padded novella, and the only thing I'm really going to take from it is the imagery of the labyrinth, which is effective. It has something of the feel of Robert Holdstock about it.

After Strange and Norrell, a bit disappointing, I'm afraid.