What are Your Choices for the Best Most Memorable Moments and Scenes in all of Cinema ?

I would like to add to this list:

The music-heavy montage of Carl and Ellie's married life in Up.

"Daisy, Daisy," from 2001.

The Joker on the pool table from The Dark Knight. (His first scene with the mob is also good, but this one is just a fantastic and tense scene that is carried entirely by Heath Ledger's performance).

The Elevator fight in Captain America: Winter Soldier. (I'm also partial to the earlier elevator scene when Nick Fury tells the story about his grandfather--great use of elevators in this film).

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

1. There are a number of scenes that stand out . In square the man in black doing fancy sword work getting ready to do battle, Indiana Jones, takes out his gun and shoots him dead.

2. The Nazis open the Ark and they get melted and reduced to dust by the unleashed power of the Ark. I didn't see that one coming at all.

Raiders of the Lost Ark.

1. There are a number of scenes that stand out . In square the man in black doing fancy sword work getting ready to do battle, Indiana Jones, takes out his gun and shoots him dead.

2. The Nazis open the Ark and they get melted and reduced to dust by the unleashed power of the Ark. I didn't see that one coming at all.
As a massive Indiana Jones fan I can't believe I didn't mention these! :eek:

The opening sequence at the cemetery in Saving Private Ryan. I've had very similar experiences.

The duel of wits between Wesley and Vizinni in The Princess Bride.

The sudden death of Wash in Serenity. I'll never forgive Whedon for that.

The capsule reentry scene in Apollo 13. I always hold my breath during the radio blackout even though I've seen this film countless times. Also the launch of the rocket. The first time I saw that in the cinema I was near to tears.

As a massive Indiana Jones fan I can't believe I didn't mention these! :eek:

The opening sequence at the cemetery in Saving Private Ryan. I've had very similar experiences.

The duel of wits between Wesley and Vizinni in The Princess Bride.

The sudden death of Wash in Serenity. I'll never forgive Whedon for that.

The capsule reentry scene in Apollo 13. I always hold my breath during the radio blackout even though I've seen this film countless times. Also the launch of the rocket. The first time I saw that in the cinema I was near to tears.

I was pissed when they killed Wash . :mad:

When they killed off David Marcus in The Search For Spock. I truly hated that.:mad:

I thought the sacrifice of HAL and Discovery One to give the Leonov a chance to escape in 2010 was a pretty decent scene.

12 Angry Men when Henry Fonda's character throws down his knife to cast doubt in the other Juror's minds.

Russell Crow's revenge speech in Gladiator.

Hudson losing it in Aliens. "They're just animals, man".

Seeing Pandora for the first time in Avatar.

The Titanic Sinking. (I still haven't seen this all the way through.)

Seeing the T-1000 for the first time in Terminator 2.

An American Werewolf in London. David's transformation was epic.

An American Werewolf in London. David's transformation was epic.

And done over many painstaking hours. No CGI back then.

Almost every shot in The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Too many to mention.
For me the absolute standout moment is the Rohirrim Charge at Battle of the Pelennor Fields.
Watching it for the first time on the big screen was fantastic - so much so I had to tell my friend about it, who hadn't seen the film yet, so I went again

Watching this again just gave me goosebumps - a touch of frisson (y)

For me, personally, I'd nominate:

Ash's head coming off, Ash's head talking and the alien spaceship in Alien
The opening of the ark in Raiders of the Lost Ark
"Get away from her, you bitch!" (and possibly "Where do you want it?") from Aliens
The opening of Blade Runner
The walk to the general at the end of The Wild Bunch
The fight in front of the bonfire from Once Upon A Time In China
And perhaps the "claw trucks" section of Fury Road

Agreed, I remember laughing uncontrollably at this scene.

I became quite jaded with frights in films when I got past my early twenties. Seen all the classics and horrors.

However, it wasn't in the original, but when I watched the 'spider walk' scene restored in new version of The Exorcist, I damn near had kittens. Watching it alone, in the dark at about 2 in the morning in the uncommonly hot air of a dark London night probably didn't help.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade . Walter Donovan drinks from the wrong chalice and grows into and older wiser pile of dust. Donovan was a idiot to blindly accepted the cup that Elsa handed to him . If that were me, she wouldn't have gotten away with that little deception. Im enough of historian to know that it is very unlikely that the Grail would be a gold chalice at all. :)

Last edited:
The "It puts the lotion on its skin" scene from The Silence of the Lambs.

Dredd's 'Mama's not the Law. I am the Law' scene in Dredd. Dredd drifting in and out of the smoke as he clears out Peach Tree block.

Many scenes in Die Hard. McLean in the air ducts, McLean calling the emergency services, Hans Gruber discussing suits...

The Road Warrior 1981 Everyone talks bout the chase scene toward the end of this film and while is a great and memorable scene . To me the e films opening narration It's by far one of the best and most openings of any film ive ever seen. :cool:

The Great Dictator -- Chaplin's speech at the end, just as relevant today as it was 80 years ago.

Contact -- the opening sequence, starting in Earth's orbit and pulling back and, at the same time, traveling back in time with the transmissions.

Back