Am I the only one that thinks that the Wild Cards series is better than GOT?

JJewel

Douglas Morrison
Supporter
Okay before the hit squad arrives my reasons ...
1. The GOT books, certainly the early ones were very repetitious in subject / theme
2. Wild Cards was the first `intelligent` idea for superheros i ever read, particularly characters like the Great and Powerful Turtle etc.

I discovered GRRM after I'd grown out of Superheroes so I can't say I've ever tried Wild Cards.

I did read one short story that turned up in (I think) Dangerous Women and I seem to remember it being okay but a bit mad

I discovered GRRM after I'd grown out of Superheroes so I can't say I've ever tried Wild Cards.

I did read one short story that turned up in (I think) Dangerous Women and I seem to remember it being okay but a bit mad
I read them first when I was a kid and yes superheros is a kids themes mainly, but not always. The wild card stuff is intelligently written and doesnt come across as costumed clowns leaping tall buildings. Equally their are some who are not blessed with becoming superheros and they become the Jokers, the freaks and the monsters hiding out in ghettos.
It is quite well thought out tbh

You're doubtless not the only one. I read the first three GoT books and couldn't be fussed about reading further. But I just discovered the Wild Cards books and enjoyed the first volume very much, and have since acquired the second and a couple of more recent ones. I think I did like it more than GoT.

[But I suspect GRRM's best work is his 1970's-1980's short SF fiction]

My review of the first Wild Cards book can be found here.

Isn't a little like comparing apples and oranges, though?
Yes and no. Wild Cards is also edited by GRRM, but mainly written by others, so that makes them even more apples and oranges. However, I think its fair to compare the work from different periods of someone's career. Likewise, Heinlein's juveniles versus his later quite distinct work - many say Heinlein's juveniles are better or they prefer them, even though they are so different from his final novels.