Gardens of the Moon.

althea

If I won't be myself,who will be?
Not sure where to post this.
Has anyone read, Gardens of the Moon, by Steven Erikson? It's on special offer and I'm tempted.
It seems to be the start of an epic series and I'm not sure whether I want to invest in a large project, unless I have some idea of whether it will be worth my time.
I am increasingly aware that my time is a limited resource.:confused:

Ah, sorry. I've just found the thread about this series. Doh! I will read the views posted there.

Gardens of the Moon is the start of the Malazan Book of the Fallen and its a FANTASTIC Epic Fantasy series. The series is completed so you can read start to finish with no pause; they've even published several companion novels that fill in a bit more about the world form the view of some characters and groups within the setting.

The first book sets you up with a whole slew of characters and events. It can be a little confusing on a first read because sometimes early parts reference elements that you might not fully grasp until later in the book. It's one of those rare books where a second reading can often times be a great thing (even if the second reading is ages later) as you see so many other things that you missed first time around and some of the concepts settle in your mind easier.

The only thing I'll warn you on is that the second book can be a bit of a jolt in so much as it takes place on a different landmass and a different slew of core characters. It's basically setting the story up for a massive epic story arc and part way through several key characters from the first book do make an appearance. Don't let the new characters throw you, there's a great story in its own right; plus once you've set all that up you get the joy that is Memories of Ice - book 3 - which after two books setting up a huge series of events - is a brutal series of epic moments!

Suffice to say this is a great series, chock full of everything that makes epic fantasy a joy to read. I often liken it to Game of Thrones in terms of how many characters there are and the grand nature of things; however whilst Game of Thrones is a low magic world; Malazan is a world full of magic, gods, the undead and more.

Not sure where to post this.
Has anyone read, Gardens of the Moon, by Steven Erikson? It's on special offer and I'm tempted.
It seems to be the start of an epic series and I'm not sure whether I want to invest in a large project, unless I have some idea of whether it will be worth my time.
I am increasingly aware that my time is a limited resource.:confused:

My advice, read it, you won't be disappointed . It's a great book and a great series and It's got everything ! :cool:(y)

Looking at the reviews, this appears to be one that you either love or hate. I got it for my kindle for 99 pence so it’s no great loss of investment if it’s not my cup of tea.:)

I remember when I first read it, and almost gave up after about page 50. Then I just gave into the story which was compelling. Now I am a huge fan and have read and reread the series multiple times, along with Esslemont's books.

You need to go with the flow, let the story draw you in, don't to be caught up with trying to understand it all at once, the ride is a amazing.
I was hooked from the minute I picked it up.

I won’t be reading this for a while but I’ve just read the author’s preface. It sounds interesting and it always amazes me how many of these types of novels are born from years of playing RPGs. Raymond E. Feist is another name that springs to mind who cut his literary teeth in RPG.

I won’t be reading this for a while but I’ve just read the author’s preface. It sounds interesting and it always amazes me how many of these types of novels are born from years of playing RPGs. Raymond E. Feist is another name that springs to mind who cut his literary teeth in RPG.

Feist reads that way, to my mind; Erikson doesn't. The Malazan series shows more evidence of Erikson's anthropology background than RPGs. It's seriously impressive (though it got too much for me and I bailed after book 7), and I imagine those who played his games count themselves lucky.

Stares at the bunny, you bailed, there was only three more to go. o_O

Seriously the Malazan book of the fallen is not for everyone. Still my favourite series and I'm loving Esslemont's companion books.

Seriously the Malazan book of the fallen is not for everyone. Still my favourite series and I'm loving Esslemont's companion books.
Interestingly, even the author says this in his preface. It appears that he might be the Marmite of fantasy (I hate marmite...tastes of nothing but salt). I do admire his no compromise attitude in essentially saying: this is what I’ve written and I refuse to spoon-feed the reader. I might move this up my tbr list a tad:)

I got lost half way through book 2, I always intended to go back to it but never got round to it somehow. I think it's time for another go...

Edit: I think I'm going to have to re-read Gardens of the Moon too

Last edited: