Raised by Wolves - 01: 03 - Virtual Faith

ctg

weaver of the unseen
qpcfuXb.jpg

Out the three first episodes, this one was the hardest to write about. The reason for it is that everything you see is connected. The Ark was destroyed at the end of the first episode, but somehow the humans survived and even though everything should have been destroyed a lot of things survived. Like the tanks full of milk.

How is it possible? I don't get it, because the Big Bad Wolf came and blew the most advanced shelter the little piggies had built down. And she came around for seconds. Maybe she will take a third and fourth trip to the ship, to collect things. But in the same time I feel Father should do one or two trips as well, just because he has a better idea on how to build their community to a better standard.

The ship and its shell can provide them everything they need. Not just some advanced medicine, but like for example basic metals, that they clearly haven't found yet. I personally have not seen any evidence that Father has made a furnace for the farm. None.

They do not have metal tools. Just rocks, woods and bones.

Maybe the thing is that those agnostic androids need some clarity and some guidance in their lives, because they are still doing things wrong. They cannot even understand the basics of humans mind and how it really operates.

It's clear that they are following their programming and those parameters set by it is limiting their understanding. I'd say that they are far behind the humans that they are raising to be the next generation. Then again, Marcus is the only level headed person of all survivors. The rest, I don't know what they are doing but they shouldn't be carrying the head worshipper through a desert.

Frankly, I vote for Ragnar, or Marcus for the leadership role.

qM4DoJx.jpg

So, that is a radioactive potato. I have tried to understand what is it that they see in the shot, but I don't get it. Therefore, some information get confused in the future even though it should be obvious. But, somehow Campion was able to get, even operate the lander, where as I, the viewer felt so very... confused.

I get that it explains why the children died. Father didn't had technology to study things, no matter what he claims. And it took all this time for him to get what should have been somewhat obvious in the pioneering years.

It is a small thing and a small detail, but where he failed had such a huge ramifications that it's obvious that they need to make further trips to the remains of Ark.

The problem I have is that it feels like Mother is coming to end of her script. That there is not much for her, and the writers are set to kill her off, because she's a threat to the children.

Things learnt from episode 3: -

The Mithralists definitely had much better technology than the Atheists. They invented the Necromancer robots and the Atheists stole that technology and reprogrammed Mother. It looks like the Mithralists were winning the war too, so maybe the Atheists used some Doomsday weapon in a last ditch attempt at victory.

As you said, it was the crash of the Heaven Ark ship that released he native life to the surface of Kepler 22b. They obviously live in the underground tunnels (I said it felt very like the series Earth 2) and the crash caused the surface to crack open.

Yes, it seems a fair number of people survived the crash, and the out of control fires have missed all of the important things, like tanks of milk and stores of antibiotics. That was just pure luck I guess.

I agree with you about Mother’s sonic weapon. How can putting your hands over your ears prevent it working? During the attack on Heaven, Mother exploded human bodies just with her scream. I think if you can hear her then you are already dead. The eyes must be either the sonic projectors, or else they are simply the on off switch. I’m sure we will learn more in time.

So, all the children died of radiation poisoning from the “carbo” tubers they ate. I expect that the radiation detection images we saw were merely illustrative rather than any kind of scan result. I glad it wasn’t just me because I really didn’t understand about that part where Campion knew and was proficient at loading the space shuttle energy converter with tubers, when he had never seen a spacecraft before, except one at the bottom of the very long chimney tunnel shaft. It isn't like there was any virtual way to have taught him either and they must have spent 90% of their time labouring in agriculture or the buildings. I'm surprised he had time to learn stories really.

I’m not sure I agree with you that they androids are now redundant. I think this episode showed how much they are still needed. Mother is still needed for protection, but as with all weapons, the weapon can be turned back on the owner. However, Father is showing his resourcefulness in capturing the creature to study it. Mother would have simply killed it. They need to study and understand them to beat them. I agree with you that he has left it a little late to become useful when he could have built a metal forge, defensive walls and projectile weapons, maybe even a vehicle, but most useful of all, he could have spent the last 10 years and got their own spacecraft up out of the shaft.

If there is going to be a long gap between the showing of episodes 3 and 4, then I think they could have come up with a better cliff-hanger ending. While it is literally a cliff-hanger ending, and kudos for that, I haven’t warmed to that kid at all, and I really couldn’t care less if he lives or dies.

I’m not sure I agree with you that they androids are now redundant. I think this episode showed how much they are still needed. Mother is still needed for protection, but as with all weapons, the weapon can be turned back on the owner.

I didn't mean that they are redundant. It feels like Mother is going to meet an end. She's a bit too power adversary for the humans, and too powerful protector for the kids. Father, however is more useful. He's gentler and wiser than Mother. If they don't want rest of the season being about survivors hiding from a bronzed android screaming at sky, something needs to happen.

I agree with you that he has left it a little late to become useful when he could have built a metal forge, defensive walls and projectile weapons, maybe even a vehicle, but most useful of all, he could have spent the last 10 years and got their own spacecraft up out of the shaft.

I thought he would have gone to get extra supplies from that ship sooner, but now it's all gone at the bottom of the shaft. Luckily the Ark isn't far, if they want to utilise it for tools. But, as it is with TWD, all living are important. At the moment, they don't really have the diversity numbers for making sure that stupid kids doesn't come out, when they really start to populate.

From the salvaging perspective, getting inventory from the Ark to the Farm is important. What can be collected, should be collected and when there is peace from the creatures, they should concentrate on stripping the ship bare and making sure that everything is stored. But I really doubt that they'll go down that route, because there's a story that needs to be told.

As you said, it was the crash of the Heaven Ark ship that released he native life to the surface of Kepler 22b. They obviously live in the underground tunnels (I said it felt very like the series Earth 2) and the crash caused the surface to crack open.

They really need to map the underground areas to an idea of how many those things are and are they worse problems then those ones?

I get the feeling that these native creatures are the Morlocks of Kepler-22b -- degenerate underground survivors of a defunct advanced civilization.
Those shafts look like they were bored, not natural volcanic vents or anything like that. Missile silos? They seem to be a constant source of ash.
The shafts can't be bottomless. Assuming both sides eventually get together with minimum casualties, the new residents of the planet need to prioritize exploration of its underworld. Mother shouldn't have a problem flying down a shaft with impunity and do a little reconnaissance.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctg
You mean a little clean up job with a sonic blaster?
Not necessarily.
These creatures, which may be intelligent, haven't killed anyone, yet. Maybe they're just fond of human children, and not in a serve-them-for-supper sort of way. The ghostly Tally, whatever her actual corporeal status might be, could be a communication attempt by the planet aborigines.
The invaders, on the other hand, have smashed into the planet with a giant spacecraft and blasted the natives into read smears. Hardly a good start for peaceful coexistence.
No. Mother, as the only one who is capable of getting to the bottom of the shaft without a mile-long rope, should dial down her sonic blaster to a more defensive "stun" setting and fly down to see what's really going on in Skitterville.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ctg
Nice. We'll see tonight what happens. I certainly approve the scout mission, but I'm afraid that the boy will end up like the fools in the Moria mines at front the Goblin King.

iu

Outside of all of the above which is fascinating does anyone think that Father is one of the more interesting characters in the series so far. There is a lot channelled through his character, it is really thought provoking for a prime time TV show.

The 13 year voyage has built a solid relationship between Paul and his 'parents', although I would expect the Ark children to be more grown up considering their minds have continued to develop whilst in stasis.

Enjoying this is immensely and hope to binge 3 more episodes tomorrow evening.