I'm looking for science fiction novels about or based on the moon.

"I still cannot remember the name of the nonfiction book about the moon with pictures/photos"

'The Conquest of Space' by Willy Ley?

A fall of Moondust - Clarke
The Menace From Earth - Heinlein
The Man Who Sold The Moon - Heinlein
The Rolling Stones - Heinlein

As an off topic aside, The Menace from Earth is one of the reasons I became interested in pterosaur biomechanics and flight mechanics.

Earthlight by Arthur Clarke, it's one of his earlier novels (1955) so dated in various ways, but it does have some spell binding descriptions of journeys across the moon's surface, and a bizarre moonbase versus spaceship battle.

Was that the battle where one of the combatants was using molten metal fired from some sort of cannon as its (very effective) weapon?

Stephen Baxter - Moonseed
Jack McDevitt - Moonfall
Kim Stanley Robinson - Red Moon
James P. Hogan - Inherit the Stars
Murray Leinster - City on the Moon
John Varley - Steel Beach

&... Explorers on the Moon, and Destination Moon - both are Adventures of Tintin!

B72926E3-2E2D-42DC-85CE-F2FE8F98CCAD.jpeg

Ian Sales (who used to be seen around here) wrote the Apollo Quartet. They were a very short series of books based on the moon in alternative realities (from what I can remember).

There are plenty of books based on the 1970s tv series Space:1999, which is about a moonbase on (surprisingly) the Moon. The backstory is that the Moon gets thrown out of orbit and takes the residents of the moonbase across the galaxy. The tv showas (for it's time) pretty good, no idea what the books are like though.

@paranoid marvin
Re Space 1999, I had a few books from the show. I would say that the books were better than the tv show itself which suffered from dreary scripts and direction. The books were based on the scripts but the writers (including Edwin Charles Tubb who was successful in his own right) did a good job of bringing them to life and glossing over the appalling scientific illiteracy that was a hallmark of the show. Gerry Anderson, bless him, had a habit of hiring the best production people, and not bothering too much with the script writers.

Ah. Lots and lots of stories set on the moon - Varley in particular has many in the Eight worlds series - but most of them seem to be short stories, like Heinlein's The menace from Earth or Varley's The Phantom of Kansas. I suspect this is at least partly due to the short story being the solid foundation of SF during my formative years, magazines being the main technique for diffusion. Ans after an American had set boot on the regolith, a large part of the magic evaporated.
So, another Bova - Millennium - plus Assenblers of infinity (Kevin Anderson and Doug Beason), both of which spend the majority of their time on the Moon, even if some is taken on Earth or in orbit, and Niven's The Patchwork Girl, even if neither the principal character (Gil Hamilton) not the title one are loonies, the action is all on our major satellite.

I still cannot remember the name of the nonfiction book about the moon with pictures/photos.
[/QUOTE3]

Moongate by William Brian
Secret influence of the Moon by Louis Proud
Aliens on the Moon- Project Blue Book
Don Wilson's Mysterious Spaceship Moon is a nice little tinfoil hat read as well
Then there is the ancient aliens series of books from about the seventies.
I really liked the photos of the "alien board room" that was someone's kitchen table set that they put into a cave somewhere.

Last edited: