September Reading Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting one from a few years ago today.
Cold Allies by Patricia Anthony.

The online blurb indicates that aliens start interfering during a tank battle in WW2 Russia.

Finished The Color Purple by Alice Walker and I don't really know what to say about this one other than... wow. This is not the sort of book I generally go for anymore (mid-to-late-20th century literary novels), but it's powerful and inspiring, with vivid characters in a messy family you love the better for their flaws. It deserves all its many accolades. I'm the type of reader that's more inclined to race to the end because I need to know what's next. This is the only book I ever recall setting aside occasionally for a day or two because it's short and I didn't want it to end... but what an ending.

I actually haven't really wanted to pick up anything since, like savoring the taste of a great meal. So for now, I'm still leisurely reading The Hobbit on my kindle while I wait for one of the books on my shelf to jump out at me. I'm rather enjoying it. I had forgotten how lively Bilbo is compared to the more brooding pacifism of Frodo.

Finished The Color Purple by Alice Walker and I don't really know what to say about this one other than... wow. This is not the sort of book I generally go for anymore (mid-to-late-20th century literary novels), but it's powerful and inspiring, with vivid characters in a messy family you love the better for their flaws. It deserves all its many accolades. I'm the type of reader that's more inclined to race to the end because I need to know what's next. This is the only book I ever recall setting aside occasionally for a day or two because it's short and I didn't want it to end... but what an ending.

I actually haven't really wanted to pick up anything since, like savoring the taste of a great meal. So for now, I'm still leisurely reading The Hobbit on my kindle while I wait for one of the books on my shelf to jump out at me. I'm rather enjoying it. I had forgotten how lively Bilbo is compared to the more brooding pacifism of Frodo.
and the movie the color purple is also amazing

I finished Lex Talionis by R.S.A. Garcia yesterday, I really enjoyed it, often finding myself reading for longer than I'd planned (which is always a good sign). The door is clearly left open for more, but as this was her first book and it was published in 2014, it may be a while before that happens.

Next up is The Space Between Worlds by Micaiah Johnson, which a number of her fellow authors have been raving about on Twitter.

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.

I’ve been wanting to read this one for a long, long time but never got around to it. Well, today is the day. I have tissues on standby.

I'm currently reading the first of this month's book group reads, Lotharingia, by Simon Winder. A personal history of France, Germany and countries in between.

Finished a re-read of The Eyes Of Heisenberg and decided to continue on a Frank Herbert foray so now re-reading Whipping Star

Jo Zebedee "Inish Carraig"
Gripping. Excellent @Jo Zebedee . Many thanks for the free download. Loved that it was set in N. Ireland.

Finished The Hobbit as well. Most surprising to me is the fact that my memory and opinion of it are virtually exactly the same as I remember: enjoyable story, but nothing truly earth-shaking for me. I always preferred The Silmarillion, which is what I'm planning to read next on my kindle (unless the first Longmire book by Craig Johnson that I just bought thanks to the August thread pulls me away... been a while since I read a good mystery).

On paper, I'm considering reading The Silmarllion as well in an effort to focus on what was always my favorite Tolkien work without splitting my attention. However, Octavia Butler's Parable of the Talents is also beckoning. I loved the first book and am eager to find how this story ends.

I am rereading the Fantasy Masterworks release of John James. He only wrote 3 books as far as I know and they are contained in this Omnibus edition.

Voton - The tale of a Greek chancer called Photinus who embarks on an epic journey into 1st century Germany and becomes the god Odin/Woden on his way.

Not For All The Gold In Ireland - The further adventures of Photinus now older but still a little devious so and so as he makes his way through Roman Britain and into the Ireland of Cuchulain. James cleverly mixes tales from The Mabignion and The Tain into this. There is a massive cliffhanger at the end of this and there were hopes that James would return to Photinus, but unfortunately that never happened.

Men Went To Catreath - A much darker tale and based on the epic poem Y Goddidon.

And I must say that I am thoroughly enjoying reading this master storyteller again.

I even picked it up in paperback; the one with the reaper driving that Smokey and The Bandit car.
That is the one.

one of the problems for me is that Pratchett came along afterwards, and his Death is much more fun.

If I remember, the Incarnations of Immortality series seemed to become a bit of
an effort towards the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.