Movie Ending(s) That Were Completely Unexpected

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
That You didn't see coming and that caught you comply by surprise.

Raiders of the Lost Ark The opening of the Ark and its aftermath. I didn't see that one coming at all.

Tony Curtis, Some Like it Hot. Truly hilarious, yet still surprising.

One that springs to mind is The Swimming Pool (Ozon).

What was the one where the father and kid are trapped in a car in fog and he kills the kid and then help comes?

What was the one where the father and kid are trapped in a car in fog and he kills the kid and then help comes?

The Mist . It's based on the novella of the same name by Stephen King . The novella had quite a different ending then the one the movie.

Last edited:
Some films had completely unexpected twists that weren't believable to me, so I don't remember those!

Unexpected endings aren't always about twists though, so here are a few I remember for twists or just some for some kind of unexpectedness. That unexpectedness often makes a film one of my favourites, because it leaves me thinking or hits me with an emotional punch.

The Usual Suspects
Infernal Affairs (2002)
Vertigo
Tell No One
Leave No Trace
Moon
No Country for Old Men
The Man from Earth
The Fellowship of the Ring (I couldn't believe I'd have to wait another year)
The Guilty
The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Toy Story 3
Psycho
Identity
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Million Dollar Baby
One Cut of the Dead
Sixth Sense
Memento
Elle
The Empire Strikes Back
Rogue One (even though I knew what was coming)
Black Swan
Victoria (2015)
The Handmaiden
The Prestige
Coco
A Taxi Driver
Parasite

Planet of the Apes had to be the best surprise ending ever.

The Empire Strikes Back. “No, I am your father”.

Planet of the Apes , definitely :cool:

The Empire Strikes Back Unfortunately , Id read the novelization before I saw the film so, it wasn't a surprise. But it was a really good ending.:cool:

Infinity War had an unexpected ending--even though a lot of the people who went to see it in theaters knew another Avengers film would come out the next year, there was still a sense of "well, I didn't see that coming." (or maybe that's just me)

I must confess that i like it when the hero dies as it feels a little more truthful, so Gladiator had a good ending as far as I'm concerned.

I kind of liked the ending to Aniara and actually found it quite bleak, but hopeful at the same time.

The Last Days also had a good, upbeat ending.

I really liked the ending to Train to Busan. It was a little different and surprisingly tense.

I really enjoy endings where a complicated scheme pays off right at the end. Movies such as Lucky Number Slevin, or The Sting had really great endings in this regard.

Layer Cake, although there is an alternative upbeat ending.