(Found) Searching, Novel, Post environmental collapse, new to library 2018-19

DanielHM

I read this novel in 2018 or 2019. It was new to my library. It is set 100+ years in a post environmental collapse world.

The main character identifies as female and bisexual. She is a social worker assigned to help a character in virtual reality sessions who later turns out to be an alien intelligence/program downloaded into Earth's network as part of an invasion plan. She is also a virtual reality game star who millions of people follow.

Her antagonist/love interest (they/them) is a VR game opponent. The climax of the book is set in a VR showdown overlayed on NYC that is dilapidated and mostly abandoned.

The book is very supportive of gender identities of all kinds. Much of the population's interaction is in virtual reality. Wealth is measured in social credits earned by prosocial activities and "likes" from those you interact with.

Most of the world's population is moved into "redensification zones".

Thank you!

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Wealth is measured in social credits earned by prosocial activities and "likes" from those you interact with.

This rings a bell. Is it a particularly important aspect of the novel?

It is the basis of the economy and a strong motivating force for many characters' actions and attitudes. Prosocial acts are rewarded and antisocial acts are punished. At one dramatic point in the story the main character is trying to encourage people to take part in activities such as remote control of cleaning and repair bots. She puts out a public call and offered a favor credit to anyone who participates. This is so popular that her many thousands of favors become a new currency. It makes sense in the book. :)

Thanks,

Dan

Sadly I don't remember what they were called or if they had a name.

Thanks for your interest,

Dan

THAT'S IT!!!!!

Thank you!

A quirky and fun and interesting book.

Recommended.

Dan

Back