Project Power (2020)

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
SPOILERS

This Netflix film is a superhero film of a different kind.

It has the premise that each of us has hidden superpowers, supposedly based upon animal features, though I'm not sure how that works with the human incinerator man? Or, the invisible man? A drug allows these powers in anyone for five minutes exactly. There is a bulletproof cop who can't follow orders. There is an ex-soldier looking for his kidnapped daughter (he was experimented upon by the government and now his daughter has inherited his powers.) There is a teenage girl drug dealing to save to get her mother medical treatment.

The POWER drug has been tested in various local areas, this time in new Orleans, to iron out the side effects. One major side effect is that people can explode, or burn or freeze to death

To begin with, I wasn't sure what this film was. A police procedural? A young adult rap comedy? A violent thriller? I think it was only about one hour into it, after they all got together, that it started to fall into place, and to work, Even the jokes got funnier, and they are stuck on a ship filled with villains with super powers!

The ending is left a bit open though. Maybe they wanted a sequel?

Netflix has lots of money to do these kinds of projects.

@BAYLOR reading through the comments made in some the threads here, such as: Has Hollywood become too Dependent On Blockbuster films? and B-Movies And Awful Films it seems to me that Netflix is filling a gap in the market at the present time. It allows new film directors and slightly more offbeat ideas. Obviously, these don't always work out, but some do, and when they do they are very good. What you do get is originality; something that is very often missing from the big studios. Even when those quirky films don't work, you can see that there is still a fondness for those 1950's B movies that were truly awful. However, I think Netflix has ambitions to become a much bigger player among the film studios, so I hope it remains able to make these kinds of films.

Not seen it yet so not read the spoilers but it's on my list.

Seen it now. I liked it. There wasn't much on the 'you take it, you might blow up' thing - literally only one bloke was shown blowing up after taking it. Also, surely there's loads of tension to be had out of that and they didn't use it at all. At all.

Other than that, good.

I saw this a few weeks ago. Pretty entertaining, but left open for a sequel. I think the Colonel should’ve died at the end.

Back