Book Recommendations for the Writer that Doesn't Read

I'm looking for edgy, alternative, immersive adult sci-fi, with strong characters.

A couple of suggestions that might help you get started - two of the most popular SF books from the past few years:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - best selling novel about immerse gaming
The Martian by Andy Weir - great survival story set on Mars

They should be easier reads than the ones you've tried. Also, ignore Baylor's list - he simply lists random books. :D

I'm curious - if you don't read novels, why would you want to write novels? Simply because I can't imagine a film-maker trying to make films without ever watching films, or a video game developer making a video game without ever playing any, or a musician trying to compose music without ever having listened to music. Is it simply that you've got a good idea in your head?

I know, it's a strange one, isn't it. I can't really explain it. I've just had these stories and characters in one for or another since high school and I've always been desperate to get them on the page. It's become a bit of an obsession.

I think I would probably read a lot more if I had more time. As it is, I spend most evenings writing and I just don't have the inclination to pick up a book afterwards.

If I was ever fortunate enough to make enough money from them to not need a day job and be able to write during office hours, I dare say I would read every night.

I normally devour books on holiday, but usually biographies or current affairs books. Next holiday I get (should such a thing exist in the world anymore) I think I will revert to fiction.

Reading for enjoyment isn't always the same as reading to improve your writing skills.

It sounds a little you're reading the books you feel you ought to read but not the ones you want or might like to read. Nineteen Eighty Four and Mocking Bird a two entirely different types of novel, and it doesn't surprise me that you wouldn't find find interest in at least one. Personally I love Orwell's novel but will probably never get round to reading Harper Lee's as it isn't a genre I think would interest me I may be wrong!)

I also would suggest starting by reading maybe shorter stories so that you find an author whose writing style you enjoy.

Thanks Marvin. Yes, shorter stories would definitely be the go. Someone else suggested a compendium and I think that's what I will go with.

A couple of suggestions that might help you get started - two of the most popular SF books from the past few years:

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline - best selling novel about immerse gaming
The Martian by Andy Weir - great survival story set on Mars

They should be easier reads than the ones you've tried. Also, ignore Baylor's list - he simply lists random books. :D

Thanks, I will put these two down on the list.

Thanks @DLCroix & @Astro Pen. I think short story collections might be the way to go. I appreciate your response... and @DLCroix, I appreciate the tangent! :giggle:
There are probably a few online magazines that fit your specifications. I'd say Apex Magazine fits them all (they publish sci-fi amongst other speculative genres). I think Nightmare Magazine publish sci-fi. Clarkesworld are sci-fi. Grimdark Magazine publish sci-fi, though I haven't read anything there as it doesn't seem my kind of thing. There are loads more where some stories might fit the bill including Interzone, Black Static and Uncanny. On the shorter side of short stories, Flash Fiction Online and Fireside Magazine publish loads of excellent stories, including sci-fi.

Re @ckatt post
'd like to chirp in with the recommendation that you read some modern sci-fi books as well.

Interesting point. Modern sf novels do seem to be (to me anyway) very different in style from the classics of the 50s onwards. Books are thicker and slower. Maybe that helps with sales? Having said that, I like reading the Amazon 1 star reviews to see what people don't like, and that word 'padding' keeps popping up. Anyway, I agree with @ckatt on his point.

Hi! I think it should work exactly the other way around. I mean, not that you arrogantly say "I can do this much better", but the feeling is close. I don't know, maybe my family is like that; for example, my grandfather was a policeman, a sergeant in a poncho and horse in the rain, one of those skinny old men with mustaches and two blunderbuss or shotguns clipped on the chair that later became a guard of presidential palace; or everything I know about weapons and martial arts was taught to me by my older brother, who was an Army officer; for example, sometimes we would watch a movie together and he would shake his head and say, "no, that kind of explosive doesn't work like that." Worse when it was a science fiction movie: "lasers are not seen in space," he said with a smile.
Perhaps that is the main reason that I have never set a fighter fight in space and have based my entire saga on a planet where everything happens below and is even more old-fashioned. He was the one who introduced me to the first authors, Asimov, Bradbury, K. Dick. I guess now he must be smiling out there, somewhere, wherever he is. Also, he used to say that commandos only go to hell to find reinforcements and regroup. Militarys. They think so. So him often thought.
But I am getting off the thread. The point is that, based on what Harold Bloom says, it is not that we are in competition with the authors that we like or frustrate us because of their immense ability; but, whether we like it or not, in an unconscious way we will always want to overcome them; therefore, becoming aware of this process should free us from anguish and become it a creative engine. In any case, it is a desire for cultural exchange; not marketing like I said out there.
And beware for travel books, are a detail that you don't have to ignore. In fact, much of what is in Burgess's Earthly Powers is basically a travel book in the guise of a novel. A great influence, going back to Harold Bloom, who now makes me notice those details every time my characters are in a new place so that I can convey them to the reader. Or Ali Bey's travels in Morocco, also half a travel book and novel.
Perhaps, since you have a clearly more poetic and conceptual streak, as I mentioned in the Critics, William Gibson could be an author who could entertain you more and does not have such extensive books as a Peter Hamilton or a Simmons (they have easy 200K). But instead, Gibson can give you some very useful lessons on how you manage to convey a feeling or a color or an aroma to the reader with nothing more than two or three words. Amazing.
Now if you want to get hit in the head, try The Nova Express by William S. Burroughs. You know, "word falling, image falling". That book is great; nobody usually understands it, until you realize that the narrator who tells the story is actually ... (I'm not going to spoil it, no way).
Roger Zelazni: Creatures of Light and Darkness.
Another blow to the head. Enigmatic, lyrical, magnificent. To suit you, I think. Also another great conceptualizer; something is left spinning in a line you just read and you realize that the guy has just described a terrifying atomic explosion or so.

Okay,@BAYLOR, @ckatt, @DLCroix & @The Big Peat, I ventured forth and bought a book ahead of a quite night away at a rainforest retreat. Based on the amount of times his name came up, I went with William Gibson and a book called The Peripheral.

Well, hmmm. The premise sounded interesting. Four chapters in (average chapter length 2 or 3 pages) and I had no idea what was going on, who anyone was or where it was set. I think I could have lived with that had the writing style not been so grating. It was like writing with all the writing taken out. I had to reread several dialogue sections to work out who was speaking. Honestly, it just felt someone had let off a box of word-filled firecrackers.

I guess I'm looking for a writer with a slower, more immersive style.

That is a problem with Gibson - his writing sometimes feels as if a quarter of the words have been taken out at random. I like his stuff a lot, but it can be very heavy.

It's very hard to recommend books to someone who doesn't read, and to be honest, I think that any writer ought to read fiction at some point. For one thing, if you are going to write, it's useful to have an idea of what's been done to death, so that you don't end up using the same old cliches (this is a problem with "literary" writers who give SF a try). However, I find that a lot of the "golden age" SFF (basically from 1930-1960) has good ideas but fairly mediocre writing, and that a lot of the more experimental books written between 1960 and 1980 or so are just extremely weird. I wouldn't write them off as bad, but many of them are dated and won't tell you much about what's getting published today. They're probably something of an acquired taste.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend The Player of Games by Iain M Banks. It's about a diplomat who must win a complex board game, on a corrupt planet where power is measured by how good at the game you are. It's fairly short, the prose is clear, the story is exciting and it's a good introduction to Banks' writing. You're not expected to know the rules of the game, too - the story works fine without them.

A while since I've read it, but I would check out The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol One. The first story in the anthology The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C.Clarke is one that has always stuck by me.

That is a problem with Gibson - his writing sometimes feels as if a quarter of the words have been taken out at random. I like his stuff a lot, but it can be very heavy.

It's very hard to recommend books to someone who doesn't read, and to be honest, I think that any writer ought to read fiction at some point. For one thing, if you are going to write, it's useful to have an idea of what's been done to death, so that you don't end up using the same old cliches (this is a problem with "literary" writers who give SF a try). However, I find that a lot of the "golden age" SFF (basically from 1930-1960) has good ideas but fairly mediocre writing, and that a lot of the more experimental books written between 1960 and 1980 or so are just extremely weird. I wouldn't write them off as bad, but many of them are dated and won't tell you much about what's getting published today. They're probably something of an acquired taste.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend The Player of Games by Iain M Banks. It's about a diplomat who must win a complex board game, on a corrupt planet where power is measured by how good at the game you are. It's fairly short, the prose is clear, the story is exciting and it's a good introduction to Banks' writing. You're not expected to know the rules of the game, too - the story works fine without them.

Yes, @Toby Frost, I've definitely accepted I need to read to improve my craft. And I guess Mr. Gibson has already helped in that regard. If I were to adopt the truncated, stuttered approach he adopts in The Peripheral for my rambling, amnesia-ridden piece, potential readers would be totally alienated and couldn't stick with it. I will keep a look out for the The Player of Games, although after spending $ 23 on a book that I probably won't finish, I think I will raid my wife's collection first to try and find a style of writer that works for me. Thanks for your very measured, constructive response.

A while since I've read it, but I would check out The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Vol One. The first story in the anthology The Nine Billion Names of God by Arthur C.Clarke is one that has always stuck by me.

Well, @paranoid marvin, I was going to the book shop with the intention of finding a short story anthology but couldn't find one, hence I just picked a book that sounded like it was in the ballpark. I won't go in unprepared a second time. I'll look out for this one too.

I second that recommendation. SF has always been much stronger in the short story form than has fantasy. Clark. Asimov. Bradbury. Many others. One of my favorites as a kid was the annual Galaxy Reader, which was a compilation of the best short stories published by Galaxy Magazine of fond memory.

I can't recommend anything offhand, but perhaps you should look for fictional versions of the things you already read, the biographies and travel literature, and move on to the sci-fi later?

I can't recommend anything offhand, but perhaps you should look for fictional versions of the things you already read, the biographies and travel literature, and move on to the sci-fi later?
Thanks AMB. I will keep looking.