Looking for a novel - Blue eyed boy, nomads, father not a nomad

liosaldefar

Hey, i'm looking for a book I read sometime in the early 00s, maybe late 90s. It was a Science Fiction-ish setting, only no real tech. It starts with the character growing up as a nomad boy - the man he considers his father is the leader of a band that is apparently only his wives and children, and some livestock. the boy has light or blue eyes, which is important because his people only have dark eyes. they also live in teepee style tents, as they are always on the move.

A male traveller arrives at their camp, and is not killed(usually, they challenge the male leader to a duel, but this man has light eyes, and is treated as a guest). The man sleeps with the boys mother, and smiles at the boys light eyes.

Later, when the traveller leaves, another nomad man comes and kills the boys "father", and the boy is kicked out of the family(you are led to assume that this is normal in their culture). Eventually, after many years, he ends up wherever the light eyed people come from.

oh, and the book cover was dark blue/black, and had stars on it. I think there is something about the planet being accidentally inhabited before they realized that the sun/stars move strange, which leads everyone to have to be on the move. There are multiple different cultures, but everyone keeps moving East-West, or something like that.

That's all I can remember of it.

Thanks for your help!

Back