Am I Editing This the Right Way Or Not: A Not So Thrilling Dilemma

Friends, I'm gonna be honest. I've read and researched a thousand different approaches to editing 1st drafts into 2nd drafts and beyond. I like to think I know what I'm doing, but after a few days of editorial efforts on my own writing, my brain reverted to a gooey substance. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the editing process is meant for:

1: Checking and making grammar usage consistent.

2: Helping with story flow.

3: Cleaning up story line and fixing plot holes.

I know I'm missing something.

Other thoughts on this subject include: how do you know when some of your writing doesn't fit in? Be it a scene, or in the story as a whole?

And if I am severely off the mark, how do you edit your work?

Hi! The first thing to consider is that there are at least two phases in the brain's writing process; one that is creative, where you preferably use the left hemisphere, the one that tends to ideas, is more feminine, and another more rational, which corresponds to the right side of the brain and therefore is the one that stores everything related to rules , formulas and regulations, etc.
This is where the recommendation comes from not thinking too much while writing, so as not to hinder the functioning of the left or intuitive lobe; in fact, it is recommended to do it at full speed.
Once the writing process is finished, the second recommendation comes: let the text rest for at least a month, if it is a novel, or a couple of weeks in the case that it is a short story.

So long time?, you ask. Yes. It is absolutely necessary.
Since the creative process is still fresh and going, you have to wait for it to stop, to decant. You have to dedicate yourself to other things, other stories that have no relationship wish with the one that has just been written.
Therefore, if after that time you read that text again and it feels as if someone else had written it, then it is a sign that you are ready to start reviewing.
Not before, I insist. It is the first rule that one must learn, resist that intense temptation, so that the poor brain does not become jelly.
Hope this help.

You should definitely approach editing with the thought that you mean to cut the fat.
You want to look for areas where you get too wordy and can say the same thing in fewer words, while keeping in mind that you don't have to remove all of your wordiness if it is all relevant and reads well.
Tighten, tighten and tighten.

Consider throwing out you baby's--your favorite parts that don't contribute to the story--while, ironically, being sure you don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

However, at some point, you need to give it to someone else so they can find the things that you are blind to.

If you go traditional publishing, you probably won't need to watch as much for this; however, you need to be mindful of infringing on other's personal rights and property. Such as whether or not to use Coca Cola as opposed to Coke in reference to how you use the product. and whether the character Joe looks like someone recognizable who happens to be named Joe.

I know I'm missing something.

If it's a novel, then paying attention to structure and character emotional arcs can be essential points IMO. I always recommend reading Wonderbook by Jeff Vandermeer for general technical pointers (as well as Brandon Sanderson's writing lectures on YouTube), and Save the Cat by Blake Snyder for character development.

We also have a decent section of resources here: Writing Resources

how do you know when some of your writing doesn't fit in? Be it a scene, or in the story as a whole?

It can take years to spot some subtle problems. Usually what happens with me is there's a tiny niggle that I ignore because to go another way would cause too many other difficulties. But over time this niggle gets stronger, until I realise I would have done better to address it. Beta readers can help to spot them earlier. Experience also helps.

one that is creative, where you preferably use the left hemisphere, the one that tends to ideas, is more feminine, and another more rational, which corresponds to the right side of the brain and therefore is the one that stores everything related to rules , formulas and regulations, etc.

It's actually the other way round (left analytical, right creative), though I believe modern research has cast doubt on how much of a difference there really is.

It's actually the other way round (left analytical, right creative), though I believe modern research has cast doubt on how much of a difference there really is.

You're right! Although for the purposes of explanation it is almost the same: you cook and then eat, and some foods have to be left to rest so that they taste better.

how do you know when some of your writing doesn't fit in? Be it a scene, or in the story as a whole?

So the way I do my editing is by reading my work out loud. It is very annoying to hear my own voice but it helps with pacing and figuring out if something "fits in" or not. This can be annoying after 10 edits but it is definitely worthwhile, trust me.

Another way that I check if something fits or not is by seeing if it relates to the plot. If it does not relate to the plot/characters/setting/worldbuilding/foreshadowing or anything else, I cut it. It hurts so bad but if it isn't necessary, then there's no point in it being there.